Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to beat somone better than you

Default Preparing to beat somone better than you

Ok I've got a hold of the 08-09 season match ups. And I see that one of my first opponents is way better than me, ranked state wise, me being ranked district wise. As soon as I found that out I've began training hard as I can because I see that that match will potentially be my toughest one of the season. I was wondering if you guys could throw in your 2 cents and had any tips?

Default Re: Preparing to beat somone better than you

Make this his toughest match of the season and look at it as an opportunity for you to become ranked higher . . . statewise . . . when you beat him. Whatever happens, don't let yourself come off the mat with regrets - leave everything you have on the mat and the result will take care of itself.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

ok. thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingmachine View Post
    Ok I've got a hold of the 08-09 season match ups. And I see that one of my first opponents is way better than me, ranked state wise, me being ranked district wise. As soon as I found that out I've began training hard as I can because I see that that match will potentially be my toughest one of the season. I was wondering if you guys could throw in your 2 cents and had any tips?
    Focus you thoughts on the things you can control. Visualize what you are going to do in the match. Don't spend too much time thinking about factors that are beyond your control.

Also, do not say that your opponent is better than you. Rankings are opinions, not facts. Take the attitude that you can beat anyone on any given day.

adding to buckeye's post, go into the match knowing you have worked harder than he has over the last several months.

You need to stay aggressive- constantly attacking him early will make him begin to question himself.

Don't panic. If you find yourself behind, don't panic. Stay in his face and wear him out- when you feel him begin to tire your offense will open up.

Just to be devil's advocate Schlottke... a lot of international wrestlers seem to go the opposite direction, slow the match down against a superior wrestler, and try to frustrate him or catch him in a big move and slow down. Probably isn't the most courageous tactic though.

Olympic Champ

Play the edge of the mat, keep up a good pace while controlling the ties in order to keep yourself in the match, thereby frustrating him into a mistake, or wearing him out and getting him late or in overtime.

It isn't a pretty strategy, but it works. Heck, a lot of callege wrestling is exactly this strategy.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

I didn't want to say it first it, but I agree with gallen's strategy.

If you are truly a big time underdog...keep it low scoring by hand fighting and circling and then try to get something late or even take it to a ride out.

But if you are only a slight underdog, then being aggressive is not a bad choice.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to bring up defensive wrestling...

Looking back on it, most of the upsets I had in university/open tournaments involved a combination of smart defensive wrestling and superior cardio; slowing the match down until the opponent gets tired.

Then again, in high school I won some good ones by coming out throwing right at the buzzer; maybe more of a freestyle tactic but you can always just try to toss the guy on his head