Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to beat somone better than you

Default Re: Preparing to beat somone better than you

I've just never been one to be under-aggressive. At the college level it certainly pays off well (because everyone can counter offense and the best counter wrestler usually wins then), but in *most* states at the HS level (and for the good of the sport!) its better to be very aggressive because the person will break much easier... Ohio and PA are the two that are very different in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye125 View Post

Also, do not say that your opponent is better than you.
    This is the biggest thing that I can suggest, don't consider anyone better than you are. Expect to win.

Just my own experience: usually when I expected to win, I wrestled down to my opponent's level and didn't do well. When I knew I had a tough match and was the underdog, I wrestled my best. I will admit that my mental preparation in those days wasn't what it should have been. If I knew then what I know now . . .
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Break him! Wrestle your style, control the ties and take good clean shots. After awhile he will get frustrated and will give up mentally. So break him!

Oops. well when I meant better I meant more experience than me. That's his only advantage far as I know. But yea, i'm determined to win.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I've just never been one to be under-aggressive. At the college level it certainly pays off well (because everyone can counter offense and the best counter wrestler usually wins then), but in *most* states at the HS level (and for the good of the sport!) its better to be very aggressive because the person will break much easier... Ohio and PA are the two that are very different in this regard.
    It works if somebody is "better".... you keep it close and frustrate them into mistakes. Over aggressive against a better opponent just means they will use it against you - I do it to HS kids all of the time and I'm not that good anymore, and old. Now if they are just more experienced (as seems to be the case here) then it is a different approach.

We have a wrestler at the HS where I live.... all he ever is, is aggressive without wrestling smart. Something they teach. He does well, but well is a 3-time runner up in small schools Arizona. This after taking third in JH in Califronia. Basically he hasn't gotten any better. He went from a potential Cali state level wrestler to not winning state in small schools Arizona (and he wouldn't be considered the favorite this year as almost everybody is returning at his weight).

A mantra I picked up from DeBerry of Sunnyside HS (Larkin, the Gallicks) is 'smarter not harder'. It's not stalling, but it is smart. His wrestlers not named Larkin or Gallick win a lot of 4-2 matches. It is also the style that is wrestled internationally with a lot of success.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

#1).Throw out the "He's better than me " BS and suck up some guts, and do your homework. A couple of friends I Knew in HS. ( Doug Blubaugh & Mark Churella ) once told me, you don't go into any match thinking anything other than you are the one to beat!!!! This will give you an extreme mental edge and energy, BELIEVE IT!! Schlottke is right, in HS. be aggressive and smart, take your A-game to him and don't let up, you will get in his head alot quicker if you take away his offense,and then he will be wondering, what the f--- who is this guy, he just keeps commin, besides college coaches love HS. aggressiveness.

Well if you still think he is a better wrestler then don't try to beat him on skill. You have a better chance pinning a guy then trying to beat him on skill. Thats what i do if he is better then me ill go for a pin. But all in all give it your all that way you don't have that feeling like you've could of done better.

This is goind to sound some gay. But before every match (besides busting my ass in practice every chance I get) I go on a vision quest. I sit in the front of the bus on the way to the opposing school, by my self, with my head phones blasting, with my eyes closed, doing nothing but playing my match over and over again. Then right before the match (call it selfish) but I don't even watch my teammates matches. I stand next to the mat with a jumprope thinking about nothing but how I am going to beat my guy.