Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall & Skinny: How To Wrestle As A Lanky Wrestler?

Default Re: Tall & Skinny: How To Wrestle As A Lanky Wrestler?

Just having the ability to shoot both sides is important, not necessarily being right or left handed.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Its more than just shooting to both sides. You have to think about lead legs, Head position, and positioning from the neutral position. Just for some reason it seem like most of the great wrestlers are left handed. It really do throws you off. When I teach wrestling I have to divide my students up. We are taught to shoot head inside on one side and head outside on one side. I agree you have to be able to attack both sides but you dont change your lead leg.

Watch some Mark Branch and Cael Sanderson videos to see how lanky guys can do it. That stepover by branch again Slay in the NCAA championships his senior year was a classic tall guy move.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    Watch some Mark Branch and Cael Sanderson videos to see how lanky guys can do it. That stepover by branch again Slay in the NCAA championships his senior year was a classic tall guy move.
    Ok i'll check that out.

I'm reading this thread for the first time and I agree with the advice. I was a tall and lanky wrestler (at least I'm still tall), and my go-to moves were the cross body ride, cradles and switches - all leverage. I had my best matches against the short, stocky, muscular guys because I was all over them like a spider on a fly (hence my nickname).
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm reading this thread for the first time and I agree with the advice. I was a tall and lanky wrestler (at least I'm still tall), and my go-to moves were the cross body ride, cradles and switches - all leverage. I had my best matches against the short, stocky, muscular guys because I was all over them like a spider on a fly (hence my nickname).
    I agree with this 100%, speaking as another formerly tall and lanky dude. I used the ankle pick, duck under, boots, step-over, and leverage as much as possible. I think my most difficult matches were against people who shared the same style - I did best against short stocky guys.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    So i weigh about 140-145 and about 6 foot.

I'm tall and lanky. And i was wondering if this is a disadvantage for me because most people in my weight class are medium height and ripped. Is there any moves better suited for tall guys like me? What can i do against the short, ripped guys? I'm a sophomore right now and would like to get some tips before the season starts.

Realy tall people are really good at shooting and leg riding

Cradle, cradle, cradle. you can cradle from any position. Its great for tall guys.

Also work on leg rides. Great for us tall guys.
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

my youngest son in middle school is lanky. you can still be strong and lanky. But to answer your question, I teach him to run legs on top and cradles use your long arms and legs to your advantage. On your feet you can keep a little distance when shooting which is a great help and and work underhooks alot.