Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are my dreams unreasonable?

Default Re: Are my dreams unreasonable?

There's some top wrestlers who have started late. Mark Schultz I think started in high school and he won 3 world titles. "My" University had a couple of guys who started wrestling in college, one went to the Olympics and the other medalled at nationals. Other guys have done it, so you definitely have your shot, depending of course on your dedication to the sport (and your natural talent, some people have more than others.) The best practice for wrestling is... lots of wrestling

Your dreams are only unreasonable if you don't work toward them. You'll be a better person for the journey whether you attain them or not.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

I will agree with many here, I think mat time is huge. The conditioning thing is great, but you only need to be in prime shape during competition time or season. Stay healthy and enjoy other activities, but get on themat as much as possible. Other things that help: weight training, camps (more mat time), etc.

Mat time is huge, however, make sure that mat time is being used to hone skills and use proper technique rather than "just wrestling." Too much emphasis on getting too many matches causes flaws in technique that get drilled into muscle memory over and over. If they're done wrong, or improperly, it's hard to break the bad habits.

Key is to MASTER the very basics of positioning. It's a process. Don't just double leg, set it up with the proper ties, stance and angle. Drill it, drill it, drill it until it is flawless.

More practice early on, develop those skills, then hit the heavy mat time.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

No, you're dreams aren't unreasonable at all. In high school, I was ranked #1 in the country and all that fun stuff, but I guarantee that in college there were people that beat me that didn't start wrestling until high school. If you work your butt off the next 3 years, and then take that attitude to college, you can end up doing very well. You obviously love the sport and want to succeed, so just do everything you can to get better and you will. Good luck.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

how succesful were u your first year?? any big achievements, medals, etc.

Thanks everyone =] MUCH appreciated! On a sidenote, as far as mastering wrestling moves go, which ones would you suggest mastering first? Obviously sprawls n leg blocks, last year I won a lot of my matches by bull dogging, using 2 on one, and using a half nelson or power half too get them over, I guess these are hte ones that immediately appealed too me when I learned them. But I'd like too get some REAL wrestlers opinions on that too

You can be a national champion if you have one unstoppable escape and one unstoppable takedown (but I'd recommend learning more). Try a wide variety of moves and perfect the ones that feel right to you. Everyone's style is different, depending on a number of factors like body type, strength, balance and personal preference.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.