Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faces in the wrestling crowd

Hybrid View

Find Faces in the wrestling crowd

To borrow the name of an old SI staple I thought it might be interesting if we had a thread where we could post news about up & coming young wrestling stars out of High Schools from around the country concentrating on the kids we have yet to hear about. Let me know what you think...

Default Re: Faces in the wrestling crowd

http://photos.lehighvalleylive.com/e...i_0243jpg.html

Darian Cruz, top, of Bethlehem Catholic, drives Anthony Bilotta of Pius X into the mat Wednesday night at Bethlehem Catholic during the Christmas City Wrestling Tournament championship matches. Cruz won the 103-pound title, 7-5. Express-Times Photo | MATT SMITH

Darian is a freshman @ Bethelem Catholic HS in Bethelem, PA. He is currently the 4th ranked AA 103 lber in the state with a 23-3 record. He unfortunately just had an season ending injury but has a very good record in a very tough wrestling district in PA.

James Green, Jr, Willingboro NJ

DELRAN - Pity poor James Green. Imagine having to beat a state champ just to win your district. On second thought, save your sympathy. He did it.

The Willingboro, NJ High School 140-pounder captured the District 26 title Saturday with a 5-3 victory over Hank Stinson of Eastern, a state champ at 135 pounds in 2008, in the final bout of the night. Green earned the tournament's Most Outstanding Wrestler plaque for his efforts, and you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a more deserving wrestler - even on the night that P.J. Schmidt became the first four-time district champ in Moorestown High School history and Burlington Township sent three wrestlers, all returning state placewinners, to the top of the podium.

Green became a three-time winner and was named Most Outstanding Wrestler for the second time. Coach of the Year honors went to Joe Sprague of Bordentown.

Eastern came away with the team title by outpointing Delran 185.5-169.5. The Vikings trailed by a half point as the final round got under way with the 145-pound bout - a victory for another returning state champ, Eastern's Anthony Baldosaro.

Stinson's bid to bookend the final round with Eastern crowns was foiled, however.

"I'm glad he's a state champ and ranked in the country," Green said. "It just gave me a chance to show I could compete with the best."

Green needed just 15 seconds to score the first takedown of the match, with a high single and trip, and built his lead to 4-1 with a second takedown with 22 seconds left in the first period.

An escape gave Green a 5-2 lead in the second. Stinson escaped with 1:30 remaining and had two good chances for a tying takedown. He got in with a single with 20 seconds left and nearly threw Green just before the final buzzer.

"I just thought, 'Sit down hard and sprawl,' (after the shot). I tried to bring him up and tie him up," Green said. "I thought we were going out when he threw me, but he scooted back in and tried to hit me with a roll. I just held onto his legs the best I could. I could see the clock. I saw the last few seconds going. If there was any more time left, I was probably on my back."

More info
    6 years ago in a youth tourney in NJ he finished 4th behind Cornell recruit Chris Villalonga.

http://65.61.23.146/tournaments/04%2...atefinals.html

He also lost to Alabama State Champ Henry Carlson 5-0 @ the National HS Freshman tourney. It seems to me he has been improving.

Here is a video from the ESU Open Nov 2009. Green takes on Dylan Alton. It is an 18 minute video! It goes to SV & then 5 more OT periods. A total of 12 minutes these HS kids wrestle. Green makes a statement with both of these matches. He should be on the RADAR NOW!

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/w...mes-green-fury

Nate Morgan caps perfect season with Nebraska State meet gold medal

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1612910.html

Morgan said he will begin concentrating on college. He wants to wrestle in college, possibly at Big 10 Conference powerhouse. The Nittany Lions are coached by former Iowa State standout Cael Sanderson. Nate said he has a friendly relationship with Penn State assistant coach Casey Cunningham.

"I don't know how it gets much better than Penn State, except the fact that it's so far away," he said. "I still need to visit some more colleges to be able to make my decision for sure."

With Sanderson taking over the Penn State program, Morgan labeled the Nittany Lions as an "upcoming number-one program."

Bison senior has gold-medal mat dreams

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1604381.html

Morgan has NCAA Division I aspirations. He has visited Big 10 Conference power Penn State and has contacted Missouri of the Big 12 Conference. He said the home-state Huskers are a possibility, although he hasn't had contact with the NU coaches.

"Maybe," he said about Nebraska, "But I would kind of like to go somewhere else, experience something else."

Class of 2012: Zach Beitz, Juniata,PA
    2009 PIAA 112 runner up as a freshman
    Currently ranked #1 or #2 in the state @ 125

http://media.pennlive.com/patriot-ne...m_665xauto.jpg

NHSCA Sports Network: Zach Beitz Juniata

Beitz beats Walsh Ironman Champ Beckman
    NHSCA Sports Network: Zach Beitz Juniata vs Mason Beckman Reynolds

Zach Beitz's record
    High School Scorebook

TOM's top 20 has the Sophomore listed on their WATCH list @ 125, (that puts him in a relative top 30 in the USA).
    The Open Mat | Facebook

Beitz goes 4-2 vs Collegiate competition @ PSU's Nittany Lion Open
    http://test.escapesports.com/Results/2010/2009NLO.pdf
    Last edited by kr1963; 02-25-2010 at 05:24 AM.

The 2012 class of PA is shaping up nicely too with the likes of Beitz, Gullibon, Keener, Spearman, Walsh & Nick Roberts.

North Star’s Roberts captures national championship

The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA - North Star’s Roberts captures national championship

Roberts just took up Greco-Roman this season. He’s hoping to turn it into a spot in the London Olympics four years from now. Such a dream might have been unthinkable a few months ago, but Jake Deitchler gave Roberts hope. The 18-year-old Minnesota wrestler earned a chance to wrestle in the Beijing Games by winning the Olympic trials at 145.5 pounds.

“In 2012, I want to wrestle in England,” Roberts said. “I’ll be the next Deitchler. That’s what’s motivating me, I want to be him.”

North Star freshman Nick Roberts strikes PIAA gold
    North Star freshman Nick Roberts strikes PIAA gold - Somerset - Daily American

#1 Nick Roberts 103

High School Wrestling Rankings : National News : HS Wrestling Moves : Wrestling diets - TWT

Lots of contenders for lightweight titles in Class AA
    The Progress News: Lots of contenders for lightweight titles in Class AA

Roberts is the defending PIAA champ and is a solid favorite to repeat.

NEW:
    The sky is the limit for North Star Cougars' Roberts
    The sky is the limit for North Star Cougars' Roberts - Johnstown's Community Newspaper

Last edited by kr1963; 03-11-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Day of firsts for Freshman Wiercioch
    Day of firsts for Freshman Wiercioch: 152 PIAA AA Championship Washington Greene PA Sports - www.observer-reporter.com

Charleroi freshman wrestler pulls off a shocker, wins Powerade Tourney!
    PG South: Charleroi freshman wrestler pulls off a shocker
    Wiercioch opened the tournament with a second-period pin of Connellsville's Mike Aumer in the preliminary round, then scored a 9-0 victory against Canon-McMillan's Colin Ryan in the round of 32. Both opponents were varsity starters last year.

Then came a pair of one-point decisions against seeded wrestlers. Wiercioch posted a 6-5 victory against West Allegheny's Aaron McKinney, the No. 6 seed, in the round of 16, then defeated Rich Eva of Christiansburg, Va., the No. 3 seed, 3-2, in the quarterfinals. Eva was a Virginia state champion last season.

In the semifinals, Wiercioch faced Burrell's Travis McKillop, a two-time PIAA qualifier and one-time place-winner who was seeded No. 2. Wiercioch walked away with a 2-0 victory.

"I had high expectations but not this high," Wiercioch said. "After the semifinals, I was pretty confident I would win the tournament."

His opponent in the title match was Pierce Harger, a senior from Cincinnati's Moeller High who placed third in the Ohio state championships last year. Harger was seeded first and had not given up a takedown in four previous bouts.
    "I wasn't nervous at all, just a little excited," Wiercioch said.

After a scoreless first period against Harger, Wiercioch gave up an escape with 48 seconds left in the second period. Harger rode Wiercioch with a half-Nelson for most of the third period and nearly turned him. But Wiercioch didn't panic.
    When Harger left his legs exposed, Wiercioch took advantage and scored a reversal with 12 seconds left to pull out the victory.

14 year old EIGHT GRADER Chance Marsteller

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLll2N0HRQ"]YouTube - chance v s arty[/ame]
    As a 7th grader Chance MAJORS PiAA Champ Arty Walsh

viewVideo.php
    As a 7th grader hits a move @ 1:27 I have never seen before & puts a kid on his back.
    130-HS R3, #5164: Chance Marsteller (PA) vs. B.J. Young (NJ) | 2009 Super 32 on Flowrestling

TOMS Super 32 Recap 103-145 | OpenMat News
    There were great matches all day at 130. In the first round, PA 8th grader, Chance Marsteller took out State and NHSCA Sophomore Champ, Rusty Mannes, of West Virginia.

Marsteller
    would reach the quarters where he would be defeated by California 3rd placer, Nik Pena, (Chance lost 3-2 & Pena finished 5th; Pena finished 3rd @ California States in March 2009) who had previously beaten Fargo Cadet Champ, Terrel Wilbourn of Missouri. In the semi’s Pena would be taken out by Lehigh-bound Cagnina, the eventual champ.

130-HS, #5227, Nikkolas Pena (CA) vs. Chance Marsteller (PA) | 2009 Super 32 on Flowrestling

2009.pdf (application/pdf Object)
    Page 18 & 19 show his results. Chance went 3-2.
    Defeated Rusty Maness, a Junior, who is a 3x WV state champ & National HS Sophomore Champ, 6-3;
    Defeated B.J. Young, a Senior who was NJ Region 6 champ & a State Quarter-finalist, 2-1;
    Defeated Adam Krop, a Senior who went on to become a 2x Maryland State champ, 3-1.
    Lost to eventual 5th place finisher Nick Pena, a junior, 3rd place finisher @ California States as a Sophomore & the 2010 State Champ, 3-2;
    Lost to Quinton Murphy, Sophomore & eventual 6th place finisher, 2x NY state champ & 4x NY place winner, 4-0.

Farmboy phenom: Chance Marsteller is 'a LeBron James in wrestling' - GameTimePA.com

Jered Cortez will be one to watch. He was trained in the Graham program until he moved to Illinois this year, and I'm kind of bummed to see him leave the state. He had a very tight cadet finals match with Nick Roberts last summer.