Thread: Mississippi adds wrestling

Default Mississippi adds wrestling

Per a post I found on Jason's blog, it looks like the last state in the US has finally added wrestling. Mississippi is on board!

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp...2&nav=menu40_4

Anyone know more of the details, such as when they start or how many schools? Any people to contact with regards to support or donations? This is a great opportunity for wrestling and hopefully we can all get behind this.

Default Re: Mississippi adds wrestling

I had read recently that Arkansas was in the same boat (process of sanctioning it, hadn't been previously)
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

I know there's been a push to build up the sport in Mississippi, but I would wait a while or dig deeper before knowing for certain that it's official. I went to the website of the Mississippi High School Activities Association (MHSAA) at www.misshsaa.com. Wrestling didn't appear in the sports calendar for 2008-09, and I didn't see any official press releases about them adding wrestling. Maybe the MHSAA hasn't updated its website, but it could be possible that the news reporters in that article above could've made an error. The news article in the link only makes reference to a wrestling program at one Mississippi high school, and I kinda raised my eyebrow. But if it's all true, hooray for wrestling in the Magnolia state.

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    I had read recently that Arkansas was in the same boat (process of sanctioning it, hadn't been previously)
    Pat Smith is down there helping with this.
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman

A slightly older article but more more detail:

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/752840.html

This is me guessing, but it sounds like that with the approval by the MHSAA the schools with an interest can get started, albeit slowly. Coach Brown mentioned that he wanted to have 4 schools ready by November to get a league started.

I'm glad to here that it's sanctioned in Mississippi now. Is there a program in place that will help some of these programs get off the ground? Discounted wrestling mats, supplies, insurance etc.....

I'm very interested in starting club in the Hattiesburg area or a high school / junior high school team in the Hattiesburg area. I would greatly appreciate any information or contacts in the area.

I'm a transplanted Midwestern with coaching experience and have several boys that have begged me to start up a program for them. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hennessy View Post
    I'm glad to here that it's sanctioned in Mississippi now. Is there a program in place that will help some of these programs get off the ground? Discounted wrestling mats, supplies, insurance etc.....

I'm very interested in starting club in the Hattiesburg area or a high school / junior high school team in the Hattiesburg area. I would greatly appreciate any information or contacts in the area.

I'm a transplanted Midwestern with coaching experience and have several boys that have begged me to start up a program for them. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike - first go to www.nwcaonline.com and click on the "Program Entrenchment" block. There are things there that may help you. Our own regular poster, wrastler118, maintains an exchange site at www.theowf.net where used mats and other equipment occasionally get posted for sale or exchange. Both Dollamur and Resilite have used mats available on their websites. I would also suggest you spend a few minutes perusing www.beat-the-streets.com - they are, perhaps, the ultimate wrestling club success story. Good luck. Rest assured that every poster on TWT is 100% behind you.

All of us at TDR will do what we can to tell the story and get the interest up. If you know anyone in Mississippi who is involved or would be a good source for me to talk to like Pat Smith has been for Arkansas please let me know. Best, Scott Casber Takedown Wrestling Radio

its good to here the sport is now in every state