Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New High School Weight Classes

Default New High School Weight Classes

http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/winters...%282009%29.pdf

These are the proposed plans for the new high school wrestling weight classes. I know they are proposed for VA and PA and I assume they are for every state. Opinions?
    "It ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward, how much you can take and keep moving foward. That's how winning is done!"

Default Re: New High School Weight Classes

I kind of like the option b, with the 170, 182 and 195 classes. I think that there should be more upperweight divisions, but that's just me. Cutting at the lowere weights isn't too hard (5-7 pound gaps) but the gaps above 160 (11 pounds from 160-171, 18 pounds from 171 to 189, 26 from 189 to 215) and closer classes up there would be great. When would these take effect?
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

Yeah, I like any of them over what we have now. I really don't wanna cut to 189. I would much rather go 192 or 195
    "It ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward, how much you can take and keep moving foward. That's how winning is done!"

I imagine that I will be able to cut to 189 pretty easily, but it sucks being a tweener in the upper weights, from first hand experience.
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

At the North Carolina Coaches meeting they referred to the numbers found in option B. What the state/s ultimately decide remains unclear. I presume that NFHS will set the standard and the states will follow. I am glad to see the 103 class go up as it is tougher and tougher each year to fill that standard.

yeah, 103 needs to go up. and i can make 189 but i'd rather not.

This is a long time coming, IMO. I coach in VA, and 103 is becoming laughable. There just aren't that many kids who can make the weight. Subsequently you have some pretty inexperienced kids winnning by virtue of being small,meanwhile the light-middle weights are jam packed. My 103 lber was a first year wrestler and he was a district and section champ and missed states by losing to a kid he had majored earlier in the year. Just to kinda put it in perspective.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Does anyone know when this will be decided on, and when it would be implemented?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Next year one of the options will come into effect. As far as 103 goes, there were only two kids in my district last year. Automatic finalist.