Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Greco starts Tuesday?

Olympic Champ

Default So Greco starts Tuesday?

It seems that way. Olympic wrestling starts next week.

One little bit of information: in Russia its not called Greco-Roman. Its called classical wrestling.

Default Re: So Greco starts Tuesday?

Big, you are not up to date with language development in the last 10 years. The designation is GR now. “Classical wrestling” is an outdated thing. Almost nobody uses it. To my knowledge, “classical wrestling” is used only in Bulgaria where GR has never been introduced as a designation.

it's referred to as Греко-римская on the Russian site. I don't see it called классическая anywhere.

Olympic Champ

I am not talking about International names. Sure the international title is GR and it will be referred so to it on the Russian site. But I can assure you amongst themsleves, Russian wrestlers, coaches and fans call Greco wrestlers "klassiki" or classics and the style is still referred to as "classical". No Russian Greco wrestler calls himself a Greco wrestler but a classical wrestler.
    Last edited by Big; 08-06-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Olympic Champ

Akzent, I guess the most accomplished Greco wrestler, Karelin, is not up to date in his recent interview:

– Планируете приехать в Пекин?

– Мечтаю посмотреть на открытие Игр с трибуны, как зритель, а не участник. Думаю, шоу получится уникальным. И конечно, интересно, что наши борцы-классики сотворят на олимпийском ковре с 12 по 14 июня.

http://www.wrestrus.ru/article.asp?id=2088&vi=0

Big, you still have perception problems. We were talking about the style, not about the wrestlers. Only some old people will say "classic wrestling".

Yes, in the spoken informal language, the usual word for a GR wrestler is classic which is the same word as classic in the meaning "artist/writer of the highest class". In the written language and in the formal spoken language (as in Karelin's interview above) the word "wrestler" is added so that you have classic wrestler but this is only for disambiguation.

No Russian Greco wrestler calls himself a Greco wrestler but a classical wrestler.
    I told you, you were not up to date. When using not "classic", but "GR" they will call themselves or will be reffered to as "greko-rilmlyane" ("Greco-Romans"); in this case, "Romans" = persons/citizens of Rome or the Roman Empire.

Both "classics" and "Greco-Romans" sound funy because of the allusion to the art and to the people of the Empire respectively.

Olympic Champ

I was talking about the style's definition among wrestlers and fans in Russia.

Classical artist means an artist of some ancient/original art not of the highest class.

Karelin used the word "klassiki" to specify Greco wrestlers not highest class wrestlers. Akzent, I know I actually lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I was talking about the style's definition among wrestlers and fans in Russia.
    Exactly! And it is GR, not "classic/classical". Go to the Russian wrestling forum of the fans and check this.

Classical artist means an artist of some ancient/original art not of the highest class.
    Karelin used the word "klassiki" to specify Greco wrestlers not highest class wrestlers. Akzent, I know I actually lived there.
    I see, you are not familiar with developments called linguistic change. In the past, "klassik/i" (GR wrestler/s) was associated with classical, now it is associated with classic.

Olympic Champ

Akzent,

The Russian forum is full of people that live outside of Russia but speak Russian. When Karelin says wrestlers-classics, he means Greco wrestlers. No other meaning. Karelin is interested in Greco wrestlers.

I didn't know Greco-roman until I came to America. In Russia it was classical wrestling and freestyle wrestling. It is still called that way in Russia.