Thread: Schwab, Williams make team

Default Schwab, Williams make team

Monday, June 11, 2007

Schwab, Williams make team

By Iowa City Press-Citizen

Former Iowa wrestlers Doug Schwab and Joe Williams each earned spots on the World Team with wins late Sunday night at the World Team Trials in Las Vegas.

Schwab, a 1999 NCAA champion at Iowa and currently a volunteer assistant coach with the Hawkeyes, beat Chris Bono of Sunkist Wrestling Club 0-1, 1-0, 1-1 to make the team.

Schwab had a late takedown to tie the third match. The last man to score wins the match.

"The whole weekend I felt like I was not going to lose, no matter what the situation was," Schwab said. "I had to find a way to get to the guy. I knew I could. I was calm all weekend. It's a pretty good feeling to have that kind of confidence."

Schwab placed seventh at the U.S. Open in April but came back to make the World Team.

"Since the U.S. Open, I've had two solid months, and I've had great partners. (Mike) Zadick, (Brent) Metcalf, (Mark) Perry, (Alex) Tsirtis. I've got a great situation."

Iowa coach Tom Brands was a great help to Schwab.

"We talk about potential, and he put it together," Brands said. "I give a lot of credit to our coaching staff. But a lot of this is about Doug Schwab being motivated. He was more motivated than the next guy, and that's what it takes. He trains with a purpose."

Williams, an NCAA champion in 1996, 1997 and 1998 while at Iowa, beat Andy Hrovat of the New York Athletic Club 0-1, 1-0, 1-0 at 185. Details were not available at press time.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Schwab, Williams make team

Does anyone have more national championships than Joe Williams? Maybe Baumgartner.