Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsen Fadzaev, the road to fame

Olympic Champ

Default Arsen Fadzaev, the road to fame

The way I heard the story was that Fadzaev burst onto international scene when he won an Espoir World title in 1981. That was at 125.5 pounds. He was a small guy and everyone thought he would be a great new addition to challenge for a 125.5 pound spot on a Senior level.

Fadzaev had other plans. He felt like he was growing and didn't want to wait until later to move up the weight and moved up to 136 pounds, messing up plans of Soviet coaches in the process. Fadzaev won European championships on the Espoir level at a higher weight but some coaches were still skeptical about his move up.

Fadzaev had other plans. He announced he will never compete at 62 again and decided to become a career 149 pounder. Most Soviet coaches were outraged, thinking he was nuts and nearly giving up on him.

Fadzaev meantime chose to train only with 163 pounders and with no one from lower weights. Guys from 136 and 149 asked to train with him but he refused to train with them. Only 163 pounders.

The following year Fadzaev stunned Soviet wrestling community by winning Soviet Nationals and the World title, becoming a long time 149 pound Soviet star.
    Last edited by Big; 05-31-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Default Re: Arsen Fadzaev, the road to fame

Did Boris tell you this story?

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post
    Did Boris tell you this story?
    He was the main narrator, yes. A few other guys confirmed.

Olympic Champ

My high school coach, Konstantin Avdeev, wrestled at 149 as well in the late 80s in Soviet Union. He was top 5-8 in Soviet Union at the time and a Belorussian champ. He told me Fadzaev never even wrestled at Soviet Nationals in the mid to late 80s. As long as he kept winning on the World stage, everyone else in the weight competed for 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    He was the main narrator, yes. A few other guys confirmed.
    He told me the same story, albeit in English.

He did compete at Soviet Nationals in 1989 @ 74 kg. He won and beat Gajikhanov in the finals (I believe), who pinned Dave Schultz that year in a dual.

Olympic Champ

Yes and he gave Budaev a chance to win a World title at 68. Imagine how many more titles Budaev and some others could have won if not for Fadzaev. Amazing.

The reason Fadzaev went up that year was to make the Soviet team stronger. The Soviets had only won one World Championship in the 74 kg weight class in like 15 years (Varaev in 1987) and Kenny Monday had beaten all Soviets in the weight, including Varaev for the Olympic Gold. They figured Fadzaev was their only chance.

bump for COL66

Cool story Big, can't believe I missed this one the first time around.