Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I must point out one other thing about Russian training

Olympic Champ

Default I must point out one other thing about Russian training

Most of the time in America wrestling sessions end in conditioning and total exhaustion of the wrestlers. The training in Russia (drilling and wrestling) is very frequent but it is more like play. You come in, drill and wrestle live until you feel tired. Then you leave and come back as soon as you get some energy back, which is usually later in the day. Its basically called living in the wrestling room but here is the important part. Rather than getting in shape from doing conditioning so much, they get in shape UNCONSCIOUSLY by drilling and wrestling so frequently.

Also, there is something called efficiency vs conditioning. The more efficient you are with moves, the less conditioning you need to wrestle well.

Default Re: I must point out one other thing about Russian training

Your point is very valid and goes hand in hand with the fact that wrestlers in Russia treat wrestling as a lifestyle and not as a job (as American wrestlers sometimes do). I was watching a few Russian practices (specifically Saitiev's) online, and in comparison to the American practices that I have observed, the Russians seemed more relaxed, more fluid, and working at a lower intensity but trying to get more comfortable and get a better feel with the technique.

I think the reason for this difference is folkstyle wrestling--wrestlers in America are thrown from high-school and college folkstyle straight into international freestyle. Though the two do share many similarities, there are differences and techniques that are specific to freestyle. Russians are learning and becoming familiar with said techniques from very young ages, and are therefore able to be more relaxed and look more comfortable in the room, while that intensity and repetitive drilling may be necessary for the Americans.

Good points. I experienced and watched practices in which conditioning, for conditioning's sake, was one third to one half of the practice. It made no sense to me then; and it makes less sense to me now. Wrestling practice should be for wrestling. Conditioning will help one of two equally skilled wrestlers prevail in a match; but the skills are what put the wrestler in the match to begin with.

If all they do is wrestle how do the kepp the intensity giong throughout the whole day

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by sahota19 View Post
    If all they do is wrestle how do the kepp the intensity giong throughout the whole day
    Good question! I will give an analogy. Humans need a lot of energy to swim in the water but fishes don't mind doing it all day.

Month after month they drill and look for ways to be more efficient until they get to the point where there is no difference between sitting on the couch and drilling.

Round of 12

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Good question! I will give an analogy. Humans need a lot of energy to swim in the water but fishes don't mind doing it all day.

Month after month they drill and look for ways to be more efficient until they get to the point where there is no difference between sitting on the couch and drilling.
    Big, thanks for posting this thread. I've often wondered why some of the Russian wrestlers don't seem bulky like their American counterparts but have incredible skills; Satiev comes to mind. They are certainly conditioned but perhaps we're overdoing some things here and underdoing others.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post

Big, weren't you 14 when you left Russia?
    I know you said you HS coach was a high level Russian wrestler, but how are you really an expert on how the top Russians train?

Olympic Champ

I wrestled in Russia until I was 14. I belonged to an Olympic reserves club where I practiced 3-4 days per week. My coach was a Soviet National champion from 1952. There were clubs such as this one for those kids that wanted to wrestle but still wanted to live at home and get a good education outside of wrestling.

However, at many tournaments I wrestled and made friends with many kids from all over the country that went to wrestling schools where they lived and trained and went to school as well. They trained 2 times per day. I talked to them a lot. Unlike in America, many of those kids lived and trained away from home since age 11.

In America my two main coaches were Mocco's high school coach at the NYAC and my high school coach for 3 years who spent 15 years wrestling in Russia and Belarus during Soviet era, going to all the major training camps and competitions.

I met and trained with Beloglasov a number of times at camps. I was his dummy when he showed moves.

I talked and competed with many Russian wrestlers here in America. Being from Russia and being able to speak Russian opens many doors to communication with Russian wrestlers. Here in NYC we have a club in Brooklyn where 90% of the wrestlers from former Soviet Republics come to work out. The head coach is the coach of 2-time Olympic champion in Greco HWT Kolchinsky.

I read many things on Russian forums and I see what they say, wrestlers and fans.

I think all this makes me somewhat of an expert but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Big; 06-06-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Olympic Champ

When my high school coach first came from Belarus he never lifted weights in a tradtional way. Never. He was the main workout partner of Sergei Smal in Belarus. He also repeatedly beat Demtchenko, the same Demtchenko that lost to McLLravy for Bronze at 2000 Olympics.

We started lifting weights together and I was actually a little stronger than him at 16 years old. Since I only wrestled once or twice per week at the NYAC, I was lifting weights from 14 to 16 3-4 times per week and I got very strong for my age and size. On the mat he could pin me in under a minute. He told me I was strong enough and I should not lift weights much but spend more time drilling and running.
    Last edited by Big; 06-06-2008 at 04:42 PM.