Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I must point out one other thing about Russian training

Default Re: I must point out one other thing about Russian training

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Most of the time in America wrestling sessions end in conditioning and total exhaustion of the wrestlers. The training in Russia (drilling and wrestling) is very frequent but it is more like play. You come in, drill and wrestle live until you feel tired. Then you leave and come back as soon as you get some energy back, which is usually later in the day. Its basically called living in the wrestling room but here is the important part. Rather than getting in shape from doing conditioning so much, they get in shape UNCONSCIOUSLY by drilling and wrestling so frequently.

Also, there is something called efficiency vs conditioning. The more efficient you are with moves, the less conditioning you need to wrestle well.
    This is why the Russians are the best and EVERYBODY else sucks in the world.....well maybe not the Cubans. Infact the rest of the world should just give up wrestling.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Yazdani View Post
    This is why the Russians are the best and EVERYBODY else sucks in the world.....well maybe not the Cubans. Infact the rest of the world should just give up wrestling.
    Not give up but acknowledge that the American system has failed to live up to highest International standards.

Olympic Champ

Every top Russian wrestler has his personal coach for 5 to 10 years or longer who is paid a salary and gets bonuses upon performance. How many top American freestyle wrestlers have their own coaches like that?
    Last edited by Big; 06-06-2008 at 06:19 PM.

big reads about russian wrestling now and watches and reads interviews. wrestling is always changing and isnt the same when he was a child before defecting from russia. big has contradicted himself many times reading what he has posted in the past. i would say he is more informed than most, but those who train in the present with wrestlers from former soviet countries understand much, much more than big does about the current trends in soviet training methods

Olympic Champ

I don't know dirtyholt if the main methods have changed any since the Soviet era. Many of the Russian coaches wrestled and became coaches in the Soviet era. Wrestlers like Saitiev and Mussulbes are doing well and they became great during Soviet era.

Everywhere on the Russian sites the coaches and Russian wrestling leaders are stressing getting back to Soviet type of system. Everywhere!

A typical Russian official statement is : "Finally, for the first time since the Soviet breakup we again have the resources to fuel a similar system" Hint oil money.

dont let publications fool you. russians arent training in some siberian snow field. their sport science and access to cutting edge training principals, nutrition, fitness principals, and health is there.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyholt View Post
    dont let publications fool you. russians arent training in some siberian snow field. their sport science and access to cutting edge training principals, nutrition, fitness principals, and health is there.

It was always there! Soviet Union was not a poor country. When even I traveled to tourneys away from home, the government gave me every day of traveling the amount of money almost equal to an engineer's daily pay.

LOL. Russians never trained in some Siberian snow field. The club I trained in was in a building better than any college wrestling room in America.

Olympic Champ

The kinds of college rooms you see in America in the basements would be found in some small villages only in Soviet Union. High ceilings were the norm for any respectable wrestling room.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Every top Russian wrestler has his personal coach for 5 to 10 years or longer who is paid a salary and gets bonuses upon performance. How many top American freestyle wrestlers have their own coaches like that?
    Some do, but they have to pay their coaches.