Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lester cutting 13 kilos!

Default Re: Lester cutting 13 kilos!

Because all too often in my career, I've written lengthy, well-researched features and think pieces, only to have people say "Oh, I didn't read it" or "I didn't like it" and they couldn't tell me any one reason why.

The Eastern Illinois piece, for example, I wrote last spring. Nearly 4,000 words -- which is very long for any story, let alone a wrestling article, got minimal feedback. Why? Either A) fan apathy or B) folks not wanting to actually read a story that long.

Comparing professional journalists, especially ones who have years of experience in a daily newspaper environment, with deadline oriented, steady writing, are far from "hometown bloggers." It's that mentality which is killing journalism.

No one wants to write a feature or develop an idea, everyone wants to be a columnist and write their own opinion. Are you making a critique of every story and comparing it or are you just blindly throwing out cover all assertions loosely based on selective memory?

... FYI, Craig's won awards outside of wrestling. It's not about the awards, although I have several, only three are for things I've done in wrestling.

People love to hate the media to start with, so I'm sure I'm not going to get anyone agreeing with me on knowing what it takes to deal with people who care not for your craft. It's taken for granted all too many times.

Apathy is the sport's worst enemy.

Default Re: Lester cutting 13 kilos!

Quote Originally Posted by Dart Shark View Post
    Because all too often in my career, I've written lengthy, well-researched features and think pieces, only to have people say "Oh, I didn't read it" or "I didn't like it" and they couldn't tell me any one reason why.

The Eastern Illinois piece, for example, I wrote last spring. Nearly 4,000 words -- which is very long for any story, let alone a wrestling article, got minimal feedback. Why? Either A) fan apathy or B) folks not wanting to actually read a story that long.

Comparing professional journalists, especially ones who have years of experience in a daily newspaper environment, with deadline oriented, steady writing, are far from "hometown bloggers." It's that mentality which is killing journalism.

No one wants to write a feature or develop an idea, everyone wants to be a columnist and write their own opinion. Are you making a critique of every story and comparing it or are you just blindly throwing out cover all assertions loosely based on selective memory?

... FYI, Craig's won awards outside of wrestling. It's not about the awards, although I have several, only three are for things I've done in wrestling.

People love to hate the media to start with, so I'm sure I'm not going to get anyone agreeing with me on knowing what it takes to deal with people who care not for your craft. It's taken for granted all too many times.

Apathy is the sport's worst enemy.
    I agree with your assessment about comparing seasoned features writers with green news writers. Not only do they serve different functions, but their skills are generally not on the same level for a reason.

As for Sesker's journalism awards, I should have been more clear with what I was referring to. He won't be winning major awards for his coverage of wrestling alone. Almost every one of his most notable accomplishments (I don't mean his W.I.N. or his NWMAPJ awards) have come from combined coverage of major American sports like baseball, basketball and football. He has one from AP in Nebraska for a wrestling specific story; not exactly the pinnacle of sports journalism awards in the U.S.

Craig's a skilled dude, no doubt, but I don't think USAW is paying him to fill his stories with a whole lot of fluff.