Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lester cutting 13 kilos!

Default Re: Lester cutting 13 kilos!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyholt View Post
    i sometimes question the credentials of usawrestlings journalists after reading most of their writing.
    Gary and Craig are two of the best in the business at their craft. Then again, no one likes to read anything more than three paragraphs these days, so folks sometimes don't know a good story if it slapped them in the face. Not referring to you specifically, but the attention span of people has been shortened to the point no one wants to read ... anything.

There's some suspect writers out there -- I've thrown some crap stories up in my day (and more than likely, have more than a few ahead of me) -- but Gary and Craig can put the pen to paper just as good as anyone.

compared to top journalists in other sports, their writing reads pretty amateur imho. compared to wrestling journalists, they are voltaires

Personally, I don't think it's a just comparison ... but I'm not going to argue semantics. While it's an opinion, what professional basis is there for you to call the writing "amateur" -- if it's a personality issue where people just don't like someone -- fine, we get that all the time, but there is a lot of great wrestling stories people just don't read, because they don't want to spend the time reading.

It all goes back to fan apathy.... same people who won't support Saving Oregon Wrestling because "they have to buy gas" don't read wrestling features that require more than one scroll or page-down on the keyboard.

Could it be it's amateurs reading as opposed to the writing being amateur?

Olympic Champ

Its amateurish to say Cejudo is going for the Gold when he hasn't done anything yet. That's what Sesker wrote last year before Worlds.

If you say so, but that's an opinion based on personal spite rather than anything else ...

why would you think someone not wanting to read would show how good a journalist is? i can read more than a page, and compared to sports journalists who write for reputable professional sports media outlets, these guys come off like hometown bloggers in my opinion. could you imagine if any story that is posted on the mat got put into sports illustrated? nevermind the content, the writing wouldnt even cut it in ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Its amateurish to say Cejudo is going for the Gold when he hasn't done anything yet. That's what Sesker wrote last year before Worlds.
    Man, every wrestler is going for gold. Every wrestler but one in each weight class goes home without it. Unless mr. Sesker wrote that Cejudo is the gold medal favorite, I see no issue.

Olympic Champ

Man, every wrestler is going for gold.

That's why there is no reason to write about it unless there is something out of ordinary that makes this particular wrestler the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyholt View Post
    compared to top journalists in other sports, their writing reads pretty amateur imho. compared to wrestling journalists, they are voltaires
    Their writing caters to a low denominator in terms of sports fans and they aren't asked for much from their journalistic capabilities than what you see there. Writers who cover other sports need to be more creative because they have so much competition in their respective arenas (and I am referencing baseball, basketball and football writers in the United States), that tossing straight news out there is not going to win you readership. Gary and Craig do an adequate job of being able to expand a story beyond your basic news coverage, but they certainly won't be winning any significant awards outside of the field of amateur wrestling for their contributions.