Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lets get one thing clear

Default Re: Lets get one thing clear

I could discuss this topic for quite some time.

My daughter is in gymnastics. Her coach is an ex Russian national wrestler. My son used to do gymnastics at the same gym but he tried wrestling after 4 years of gymnastics and now is hooked. I often discuss wrestling with her coach and he has said many of the same things you have stated.

Drill, drill, drill. Wrestle matches. And then drill some more. He also finds the USA idea of shoot for the legs to be insane. He feels that one should focus on learning hand control and upper body throws. He said that in a match you will always get in contact with your opponents arms, head, and shoulders. But you may never get to touch the legs. Also, that there is too much focus on aggression and not technique. He quite coaching wrestling because he became too frustrated with the mentality. BUT I am hoping to convince him to come back in. He is very interested in youth wrestling and has a 5 year old son soooooooo I am hoping he will coach again.

With that said. My son belongs to a great club. The coaches are really great and I could not have been any luckier to find this club.

Terrific, educating post Big..........even for those of us who are NOT gonna be getting up that early in the am to wrestle!

Thanks.......
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Round of 12

Very nice post Big!

I remember as a kid all the horror stories regarding the nasty Soviet training methods, taking kids away from parents, 24/7 training, then I met some Russian wrestlers when my son was a pee wee. They told me exactly what you wrote earlier, they looked at me like I was a nut when I recounted what I had heard regarding training in the Soviet Union. They said, training should be structured as play, Americans compete too much and don't train frequently enough, we train too hard and burn kids out, etc....

Olympic Champ

Good stuff Big.... thanks for posting. I validates the way I like to develop kids - including my own.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Olympic Champ

Thanks guys. Sometimes you sit down and get the urge to write things down and that's when your best stuff comes out.

One other thing: Frequency of the workouts as well as varying times of the day of the workouts are more important than making each workout a grueling one. A light workout gets you ready for the tough one. Plus you can really pick up the intensity on the workout that is under an hour.

Great stuff

Olympic Champ

Funny thing about throws is that they are considered a kids' attraction to wrestling in Russia. Headlock throws and fireman's carries are usually taught first to spark an interest. Leg attacks are taught later.

You should see kids' Greco tourneys in Russia. They slam each other like crazy and nobody gets hurt.

this is great stuff Big

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    Terrific, educating post Big..........even for those of us who are NOT gonna be getting up that early in the am to wrestle!

Thanks.......
    I remember watching the CBC broadcast of Daniel Igali's olympic matches. They mentioned that Daniel trained in the morning for months, just because his matches would be in the AM. (Daniel won the Olympics.)

I also remember the kids greco tournaments in South Africa. Kind of unreal watching 12 year old back suplex each other.