Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans seem to prefer those Russian wrestlers that lost to Americans in the past

Default Re: Americans seem to prefer those Russian wrestlers that lost to Americans in the past

Big? Anti Amercian at times? Noooooo Way! I don't believe it. He is red white and blue all the way!

Default Re: Americans seem to prefer those Russian wrestlers that lost to Americans in the past

You're 1/3 right.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Murtazaliev lost to Kelly but it was a different weight class than he is wrestling now.

I get the general impression that most American and other non-Russian posters seem to prefer and favor those Russian wrestlers that have lost to Americans in the past or in the case of Sajidov placed below an American (Sanderson at Olympics).

Hence, Batirov over Dudaev, Saitiev over Murtazaliev and Sajidov over Ketoev.

Am I totally wrong here or do I see a pattern?
    batirov, dudaev, murtazaliev, and saitiev have lost to americans. neither ketoev or sajidov have lost to any american. i dont see your point

Now thats not entirely true Big.

My two favorite Soviet wrestlers where Levan Tedishavili and Salman Chasmikov (forgive me if I butchered the spelling of their names).

For those that dont remember Chasmikov, he was a hwt contemporary of Baumgartner's. I remember going to a match in Deadwater, Ok where he was competing. While Im telling this story keep in mind that Chasmikov was every bit of the 285 maximum, but was all of about 5'10' tall. The man was a walkin talkin refrigerator!

After all the wrestlers were introduced, all the Soviets went back into the lockerroom and came back only to wrestle and then once again went back to the lockerroom after the match. (I guess the Party apparatchik didnt want them exposed to anymore capitalism than was absolutley necessary and was no doubt also worried that one would bolt to freedom if they werent kept tightly under wraps) Everyone that is EXCEPT Chasmikov.

After Chasmikov was introduced, he went and sat in the stands next to a bunch of coeds! It was quite entertaining really as he carried on laughing and signing autographs while all his teammates were either wrestling or were sequestered away.

With about a minute left in the 220lb match he gets up, does some minimal stretching and I do mean minimal, takes off his warmups and then goes out and easily handles Baumgartner. I seriously doubt he even broke a sweat. Im not kidding!

Perhaps you have your own stories about Salman Big?
    Last edited by Tight-Waist; 05-16-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Harmony

Olympic Champ

I never met Khasimikov. I just heard he used to say he is prepared to work as hard as anyone but don't take his food away. He never cut weight!

Waist,

Often people require lack of freedom to achieve great things. Russian wrestlers come from poverty for a reason. If they had many choices, I doubt they would ever become such great wrestlers.

In the 1982 Worlds in Edmonton Khasimikov picked up Baumgartner in a double and airplane spun him before putting him down. He might have rotated him 3 times.

I never met Khasimikov. I just heard he used to say he is prepared to work as hard as anyone but don't take his food away. He never cut weight!

Waist,

Often people require lack of freedom to achieve great things. Russian wrestlers come from poverty for a reason. If they had many choices, I doubt they would ever become such great wrestlers.
    You are quite correct Big.

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post
    In the 1982 Worlds in Edmonton Khasimikov picked up Baumgartner in a double and airplane spun him before putting him down. He might have rotated him 3 times.
    I cannot remember seeing any other human that came closer to being a "human cube".

But it was his whole attitude and independence that I found fascinating, that and the way he seemed to toy with our best.

Waist,

I'd be interested to know Big what he is doing today. Do you have anyway of finding out?

You ought to post a pic of him. He is truely one of a kind.