Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is really bad...

Default Re: This is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I just love playing with you guys......

FILA wants more housewives to watch wrestling. Duh! That's why all the rule changes and bags of tricks. Its all about credit card advertisements during Olympics.
    If FILA really wanted housewives to watch wrestling, they'd make the singlets even more revealing.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Have the housewives buy TIVO and never watch a commercial again.

More nonsense.

Martinetti had been a member of FILA since 1980. Before that, Federation presidents went as follows:

Under IWAF:

Einar Raberg (SWE) 1921-1924
    Alfred Br?ll (HUN) 1924-1929
    Viktor Smeds (FIN) 1929-1952

after renamed FILA:

Roger Coulon (FRA) 1952-1971
    Milan Ercegan (YUG) 1971-2002
    Rapha?l Martinetti (SUI) 2002 - Present

Olympic Champ

quick,

What I am saying is that Martinetti is more of a public relations worker than a President of World wrestling. Now Karelin or Baumgartner or Fadzaev or John Smith could have been real wrestling Presidents.

The role of Martinetti is to suck up to the Olympic committee and Jacques Rogge who in turn answers to the media which in turn answers to American credit card companies among others to get financing.

quick,

What I am saying is that Martinetti is more of a public relations worker than a President of World wrestling. Now Karelin or Baumgartner or Fadzaev or John Smith could have been real wrestling Presidents.

The role of Martinetti is to suck up to the Olympic committee and Jacques Rogge who in turn answers to the media which in turn answers to American credit card companies among others to get financing.
    Hard to tell if you are being serious or not.
    Your logic is becoming more bizarre. If Quick wasn't arguing with you I would have thought you were joking in your posts about credit card companies.

Olympic Champ

ODH,

I am typing this stuff with a smirk on my face. Of course none of this is as simple I post here but I do believe there is some truth to it.

Before 1992 Wrestling was mostly about which system is better, communist or capitalist. That is why rules were relatively constant and wrestling was based on what determines the very best.

With the fall of Soviet Union the interest for wrestling naturally waned among lay people. Olympics became more and more sponsored by advertisement and it became important to tailor it to lay people to provide the highest viewership.

Wrestling today is tailored to please lay people and not to provide the best wrestling. This is because ultimately it is all about selling advertisement and people need to want to watch wrestling to watch the advertisements as well.

I would not be surprised if Martinetti consulted his own daughter and wife on such changes as 3 periods with rest and scored separately. "Dear, what do you think should be changed in wrestling to make it more appealing to women?" Martinetti's wife or daughter: "Oh I think it should be more like tennis. I love watching tennis". Not surprising wrestling has 3 periods, not 5, like women's tennis and not men's.

Wrestling is very political or at least used to be. Almost every American who is not even familiar with wrestling knows that some American HWT beat an "Unbeatable" Russian HWT in Sydney.

If they wanted more "lay" people to be interested in wrestling, why do they keep changing the rules so only the hardcore fans know what the hell is going on? Why did they change the rules so that aggression and excitement is not rewarded? Nobody is going to buy commercials during a sport where no one knows what's happening and those that do know are bored out of there minds.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Olympic Champ

ISU,

Lay people will know more than the serious fans. Serious fans are looking at every little thing like where a wrestler grabbed during the clinch and was there really an exposure and who started it.

Lay people are moere interested in constant action (pushout rule), constant tension to win (each period scored separately), and of course a break for commercials (30-second rest)

I mean take boxing. Very popular in America but I doubt every casual fan knows how all the points are scored. A throw is a throw just like a punch is a punch.

ODH,

I am typing this stuff with a smirk on my face. Of course none of this is as simple I post here but I do believe there is some truth to it.

Before 1992 Wrestling was mostly about which system is better, communist or capitalist. That is why rules were relatively constant and wrestling was based on what determines the very best.

With the fall of Soviet Union the interest for wrestling naturally waned among lay people. Olympics became more and more sponsored by advertisement and it became important to tailor it to lay people to provide the highest viewership.

Wrestling today is tailored to please lay people and not to provide the best wrestling. This is because ultimately it is all about selling advertisement and people need to want to watch wrestling to watch the advertisements as well.

I would not be surprised if Martinetti consulted his own daughter and wife on such changes as 3 periods with rest and scored separately. "Dear, what do you think should be changed in wrestling to make it more appealing to women?" Martinetti's wife or daughter: "Oh I think it should be more like tennis. I love watching tennis". Not surprising wrestling has 3 periods, not 5, like women's tennis and not men's.

Wrestling is very political or at least used to be. Almost every American who is not even familiar with wrestling knows that some American HWT beat an "Unbeatable" Russian HWT in Sydney.
    I agree with some of your points but I do not put any credence in your political spin on the changes. when Rulon beat Karelin in 2000, very few people looked at Russia as an enemy anymore. Almost all cold war rivalries were finished by the mid-1990's.

I think they are trying to make wrestling more spectator-friendly and are not doing a good job of it. They are drastically changing the rules and I doubt it is bringing new fans in, I think it is irrating to hard-core fans and confusing to casual fans. In my mind the clinch has always been an embarrment. Imagine watching a Gold medal final with a non wrestling friend when the match is decided by the clinch. Jut watching the referee thrying to positon the wrestlers is painful.