Thread: 2008 Veteran's World Perm Russia / Gioiosa

Default 2008 Veteran's World Perm Russia / Gioiosa

For the 2nd year, Jim Gioiosa competed in the United States Veteran Nationals hoping to earn a chance to represent the United States in the Veteran's World Wrestling Championships in Perm Russia, September 23 - 29, 2008.

Last year Jim had failed to earn a Gold, Silver or Bronze (eventually placing 4th) when he injury defaulted to Champion Kevin Pine of Las Vegas Nevada. Kevin had won several Veteran's National Titles in the past both Freestyle & Greco Roman wrestling.

Jim scored the opportunity for revenge when he drew Kevin in the first round of competition on Wednesday morning in the Greco Roman Division C 76 KG (167.5 lbs). Using a favorite move when he wrestled for the Catholic in 1985... Jim used a Headlock to pin Pine in just over 1 minute.

Jim later achieved victories over Mike Sweet of Washington in similar fashion when he pinned Sweet with a headlock in 43 seconds.

In the finals Jim lost to Michael Robinson of Pennsylvania after winning the first period 5-0, and failing to win one of the next two periods. He lost the 2nd period 1-1 and the 3rd as well, 1-1.

After placing 2nd in the Nation in Greco Roman wrestling, he competed the following day in the Freestyle Nationals.

Jim avenged his loss against Robinson when they met in the 2nd round. Jim easily handled Robinson 5-0, 2-0. After an additional win against Chip Balk of Missouri, Jim faced his nemesis Kevin Pine whom he had disposed of the day before. This time Pine was ready and even after losing the first period to Jim 4-2, came back and scored 2-0 victories in the 2nd and 3rd period to give him his 4th National Freestyle title.

By taking 2nd in the Nation in Freestyle and Greco Roman Wrestling, Jim will be travelling to Perm Russia in September 23 - 29, 2008 to compete in the Veteran's World tournament where he hopes to bring back the GOLD for the United States (in an Olympic year).

Jim Gioiosa: "I've really never given up wrestling. I dreamt of wrestling in the Olympics in 1988 and again in 1992 but never earned a position on the Olympic ladder. Now that my son Skyler (17), who also competed in the US Nationals in Las Vegas is wrestling, it's something the two of us can do together. I'm guessing in a few years, he'll certainly be able to get the best of me In the mean time, getting the chance to represent the United States in Russia and bring home a GOLD Medal would be a dream come true. The odds are certainly not with me however. Traditionally the Russian's have strong athletes and Iran (and Russia) will both be entering over 100 competitors (while the United States normally brings less than 25). Perm Russia is the 13th most populated city in Russia (with just under 1,000,000) but actually quite remote located near the Ural Mountains. I'm disappointed with my performance in Las Vegas. Both opponents I lost to, I eventually came back to beat (at the wrong time. That's OK, I plan on competing for the next 10 years and eventually will become a National Champion. Being a World Champion would be a dream... but that's why I'm flying half way around the world... I'll keep you posted!"

Default Re: 2008 Veteran's World Perm Russia / Gioiosa

Good Luck in Russia

Default Re: 2008 Veteran's World Perm Russia / Gioiosa

Don't come home without plenty of 5 Point Throws!~