Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing, North Korea's HWT is in the finals

Olympic Champ

Default Amazing, North Korea's HWT is in the finals

Well, 66kg is pretty much a HWT for North Korea. This guy is impressive. He is a 2008 Asian champion, no small achievement in itself.

You know, North Koreans are so smart. They know they don't have much money to travel to expensive Europe so they skip the first qualifier and go to the last one. They hit jackpot with two wrestlers in the finals and the 3rd barely missing qualification at 60kg. Its a rare occurence to see North Koreans compete these days I guess because its tough for them to find wrestlers big enough for the weights. Well done fellow communists!

Default Re: Amazing, North Korea's HWT is in the finals

Who was the largest successful North Korean wrestler? I don't follow international too heavily but I only remember them in the two lowest weights..

awesome, im very impressed with the north koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post

Its a rare occurence to see North Koreans compete these days I guess because its tough for them to find wrestlers big enough for the weights. Well done fellow communists!

You're so stupid sometimes. It's not like PRK is overrun with midgets. They have people big enough to probably fill most of the weights. I don't think their genetic make up is all that different than their Southern Capitalist counterparts who managed to fill every weight at the Asian Championships -- oh wait that's right they're the same people just living over an imaginary line. I forgot.

The reason they don't go to many tournaments is mainly due to $, lack of real federation, but mostly politics.

I remember a 74 kg entrant having some successs a few years back.

Olympic Champ

quick I probably wasn't very clear. I am sure they have some big guys in the country but are there any big good wrestlers? While the South might fill every weight, when was the last time South Korea had a really good 96 or HWT?

Sure they are the same people but I am sure there is more food in South Korea, hence South Koreans generally get bigger. If you look at the whole history of North Korea's wrestling, I doubt they medaled at the Worlds above 68kg.

As opposed to South Korea, North seems to send mostly wrestlers that can do really well, so they almost never send anybody over 66kg to Worlds or Olympics. I imagine that is because they don't have much money and wrestling has a big element of political pride for North Koreans.

Funny you mention "midgets". They are mostly small people. Kind of like Yakutians. Ever saw a Yakutian HWT? What's a midget to America is good size to North Koreans.

Olympic Champ

Also, I noticed a big difference between the appearances and wrestling styles of South and North Koreans.

South Koreans are mostly relatively tall and slender looking and have a style that seems to adjust to their opponent.

North Koreans have very thick legs and thick trunks. They have square stances, bend very low at the waist and force their style on their opponent, slowing them down but at the same time countering very well any attempt to score on them. Its fascinating how there is so much politics in this. North Korean wrestlers seem to say I am wrestling the way I want and there is nothing you can do to move me. South Koreans are more flexible and willing to do different things on the mat.

I understand they're only going to take the guys they feel can qualify or medal so they only bring their top guys, which are the one who have the mpast competition at home, which means, based upon their demographic/population, the first few weights only. This has been going on for over 30 years.

Sure they are the same people but I am sure there is more food in South Korea, hence South Koreans generally get bigger.

Nice PR for Communism, Big. Everyone, change to Communism so you can eat less than the guy who lives right next door to you (though don't even think of going next door or you'll get blown up) and turn into a country of friggin' migdets!

Olympic Champ

Maybe they like being small. Personally I think too much food is not always good. I believe South Korea has an obesity problem. Not so in North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Also, I noticed a big difference between the appearances and wrestling styles of South and North Koreans.

South Koreans are mostly relatively tall and slender looking and have a style that seems to adjust to their opponent.

North Koreans have very thick legs and thick trunks. They have square stances, bend very low at the waist and force their style on their opponent, slowing them down but at the same time countering very well any attempt to score on them. Its fascinating how there is so much politics in this. North Korean wrestlers seem to say I am wrestling the way I want and there is nothing you can do to move me. South Koreans are more flexible and willing to do different things on the mat.

Funny I always thought it was the opposite with the NKs looking more slender and the SKs looking exactly like their short squat teammate, just a little bigger, as if someone made 7 duplicate cookie cutters of varying sizes.

The 2 NKs who won Gold in 1992 & 48 & 52 were lanky as compared to their SK opponents. But then I have seen some lanky SKs qand stocky NKs

The answer: They are the same exact people genetically, just divided by the line.