Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing, North Korea's HWT is in the finals

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Amazing, North Korea's HWT is in the finals

quick look at the matches from the qualifiers. All North Koreans are stocky and similar looking. All South Koreans are slender.

I guess the North is trying to say they are not starving while the South is trying to say they are not getting fat from Western influence LOL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6284054.stm

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post
    I understand they're only going to take the guys they feel can qualify or medal so they only bring their top guys, which are the one who have the mpast competition at home, which means, based upon their demographic/population, the first few weights only. This has been going on for over 30 years.

Sure they are the same people but I am sure there is more food in South Korea, hence South Koreans generally get bigger.

Nice PR for Communism, Big. Everyone, change to Communism so you can eat less than the guy who lives right next door to you (though don't even think of going next door or you'll get blown up) and turn into a country of friggin' migdets!

quick, your PR comment made me laugh out loud. That and the fact that someone named Big whose hobby is "eating" and who gained 100 lbs in university is arguing against having lots of food.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    quick, your PR comment made me laugh out loud. That and the fact that someone named Big whose hobby is "eating" and who gained 100 lbs in university is arguing against having lots of food.
    PS wasn't there a Korean in the finals at 84 kg last olympics?

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    PS wasn't there a Korean in the finals at 84 kg last olympics?
    He was from South Korea and he was a bulked up 74kg wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    quick I probably wasn't very clear. I am sure they have some big guys in the country but are there any big good wrestlers? While the South might fill every weight, when was the last time South Korea had a really good 96 or HWT?

Sure they are the same people but I am sure there is more food in South Korea, hence South Koreans generally get bigger. If you look at the whole history of North Korea's wrestling, I doubt they medaled at the Worlds above 68kg.

As opposed to South Korea, North seems to send mostly wrestlers that can do really well, so they almost never send anybody over 66kg to Worlds or Olympics. I imagine that is because they don't have much money and wrestling has a big element of political pride for North Koreans.

Funny you mention "midgets". They are mostly small people. Kind of like Yakutians. Ever saw a Yakutian HWT? What's a midget to America is good size to North Koreans.
    Its BECAUSE they are communists that they have neither food or money not despite that fact.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Olympic Champ

goferphan,

Its a discussion for the politics section but a case can be made that capitalism poisons the environment for communism.

Just one quick example. The same lunch I eat in NYC probably costs 10-20 times more than in many other countries such as China for example. This is fine for people in NYC because they also make more money. However, on the world stage this makes no sense. Why should North Koreans or Chinese pay 20 times more for something when buying it globally?

If North Koreans travel to Europe or America they have to do just that.

You see the West jacks up prices not only for goods possible only under capitalist system but your average goods that any country has. The same apartment that costs $1K in North Korea or Mongolia probably costs $1 million in NYC or more.

This phenomenon poisons fair competition for all players not wishing to be led by the capitalist menace! The only non-traditional capitalist countries that fair ok in this crappy system are those that have something the West will pay dearly for example oil.

I think countries like North Korea when they travel should pay only as much as they would pay in their own country. Rant over!

66 kg 1/2 - Did the PRK coach flip out because he thought the mat official looked in the bag first? looked a little shady to me. The mat chairman seemed to blatantly hold it open.

http://195.70.27.5/803/fs/166.wmv

You be the judge.
    Last edited by quick_single; 05-04-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: fixed match #

Olympic Champ

Wrong match

The pwoer in their legs comes from them not having toilets(at least last time I heard). I believe they still use those "hole in the ground" type facilites where they have to squat and not sit.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!