Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it was a mistake for Herbert and others to wrestle at University Nationals?

Olympic Champ

Default Do you think it was a mistake for Herbert and others to wrestle at University Nationals?

It seems like Pataky, Jones, Gavin, Herbert and even Dlagnev underperformed at Senior Nationals. Part of it can be the qualifier but I also think two national tourneys in two weeks is too much. Also, Jared Platt had problems at FILA Juniors.

I know Universities qualified them for trials but I am talking as far as performance at Seniors. Matt Pell pulled out of University tourney and had a good Senior tourney.-

Default Re: Do you think it was a mistake for Herbert and others to wrestle at University Nationals?

Maybe it was a mistake to wrestle poorly at seniors

(bet ya honestly you may be onto something)

Default Re: Do you think it was a mistake for Herbert and others to wrestle at University Nationals?

Dlagnev placed third beating a World Bronze Medalist in the process. Looked like an excellent tournament to me.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Dlagnev placed third beating a World Bronze Medalist in the process. Looked like an excellent tournament to me.
    True but lost to Sigman without scoring a point after beating him at Sunkist.

Sigman and Delagnev are always back and forth very, very closely. I'm not sure but Sunkist was the only yime that Tervel won.
    Last edited by architeuthis; 04-29-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spell check

Still not a terible tournament with wins over Cummins & Thompson and he ended placing higher than Sigman.

Olympic Champ

Well I think what separates Dlagnev from other University champions is that he really wasn't tested at Universities in any of his matches. Plus I am assuming he did not have to cut any weight.

I don't know if it really hurt them that badly. I think they're used to doing it from the college season. I think the biggest factor for somebody like Gavin may have been the fact that he's in a college weight class that's just in between international weights. I'm sure the 2 guys that beat him had a lot to do with it too.
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman:

these tournaments should still be part of a learning process for these guys and they can't go wrong getting more competitions.