Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Nationals system is elitist

Olympic Champ

Default New Nationals system is elitist

What is this qualification crap? It denies a chance to the long shots in my opinion. Look at some weights where there are like 40-50 people in the qualifier today. Say you lose one match to another good guy and you end up wrestling 8-9 matches. How are you supposed to come back and wrestle well the next day against fresh opponents?

Its just dumb. They should just have qualifiers at regionals or something then.

Default Re: New Nationals system is elitist

Is that any dumber than having the coaches decide who goes? I think I've heard them do that somewhere? Its on the tip of my tounge, but it starts with a U....no an R.

Big, do you know where that is?

Olympic Champ

Coaches decide there exactly because some long shots might be better than the elite.

Quote Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
    Is that any dumber than having the coaches decide who goes? I think I've heard them do that somewhere? Its on the tip of my tounge, but it starts with a U....no an R.

Sadly, I agree with both of you. If we are going to have a system where a long shot gets a chance, which is fantastic and not nearly as elitist as having coaches pick, then don't have the decks so stacked against them. Have the qualifying tournament well before the actual tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post

Russia's system shadows their government, though. The USAW picking rankings and then allowing those guys to stay fresh for a tournament against opponents who just wrestled 5-9 matches is a bit tough to swallow. The rankings are essentially "picking" the winners- just not 1 individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Russia's system shadows their government, though.
    Which by the way is the best government in the land!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    Which by the way is the best government in the land!
    The difference is not in the government, its in the people. America would be nothing without Mexicans and Chinese and Indians doing jobs Americans will not do. Russia is more restrictive.

When I went to Brockport I had to call India to book a hotell!

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    The difference is not in the government, its in the people. America would be nothing without Mexicans and Chinese and Indians doing jobs Americans will not do. Russia is more restrictive.

When I went to Brockport I had to call India to book a hotell!
    Lazy Americans - not outsourcing, of course - are the reason why the US Nationals WRESTLING program is elitist. It's all making sense now!

Olympic Champ

Its a culture thing. Americans are fine with people from foreign countries that speak little English living and working in America. Russia is not so welcoming. That is the difference.