Thread: More FILA tampering?

Default More FILA tampering?

Looking at the brackets from this year's FS Euros I can't help but notice that many of the brackets were ridiculously lopsided: 60, 74, 84, 96, & 120 all had the best guys one side of the bracket leaving the other half fairly empty.

Just wondering if this was FILAs attempt at trying to get more qualifiers aside from your usual suspects.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: More FILA tampering?

I think it was. On the Russian website they are sure about it. Tedeev said: "I am not sure why they are trying to give weaker wrestlers a chance by setting up the brackets this way. Murtazaliev and Aldatov were best to wrestle in later rounds and give fans a good show".

Have they changed the way the wrestlers are placed on the brackets? In my time the competitors had to draw lots as they stepped off of the scales. You knew who you were wrestling immediately at the conclusion of the weigh in for your weight class? What is the current system?

How many spots qualify from Euros?

Olympic Champ

Only one spot qualifies but if the champion has already qualified then the second place qualifies and so on.

In reality they need to promote wrestling in western Europe, this would help the sport more than anything and so i have always believed there should be a system to promote wrestling from this region.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Only one spot qualifies but if the champion has already qualified then the second place qualifies and so on.
    and "only nations which entered an athlete at each weight class at the 2007 World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan will be eligible to qualify their nation for the Olympics at that weight".
    for this reason Musulbes couldnot qualify ! becasue SVK didnt participate at 120kg in Baku. and also North Korean Kim Min-Chol (Gold medal 66kg Greco in Jeju) didnt qualify !

Qualified wrestlers from Tampere:
    Sanchez (ESP-55), Fedoryshin (UKR-60), Azizov (AZE-66), Gaidarov (BLR-74), Mindorashvili (GEO-84), Gogshilidze (GEO-96) and Modzmanashvili (GEO-120)

looks like their plan failed