Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamiashvili: Performance at Euros reminds of Soviet times

Olympic Champ

Default Mamiashvili: Performance at Euros reminds of Soviet times

Mamiashvili, President of Russian Wrestling Federation, says great performance at European Championships by Russian wrestlers reminds him of Soviet Union era when Soviet Teams always won many medals at every competition.

But, Mamiashvili points out, Euros are not Worlds and not Olympics, so more preparations will begin tomorrow.

Yup no Koreas, Irans, USAs, or Cubas at the Euros to mess things up for them.

Olympic Champ

QS -

You gotta think after last years close call the Russians have upped their game again. First that message they sent us in Chicago, and now this kind of domination. I also think they have found a strategy and tactic set that gives more consistant results.

I guess we'll know for sure in a few months.

And yet they only won 2 Golds in China last year after winning 6/7 weights at the Euros.

I hear what you are saying and agree, but the Worlds are a completely different event and the countries I mentioned have a lot of great wrestlers as well.

The US did have a great performance in China while the Russians faltered.

We'll see what happens in Baku.

Olympic Champ

Russians will feel pretty much at home in Baku. Azerbailan has to be greatful to Russia for "borrowing" Russian wrestlers.

Russians should be greatful to the Caucasus for "borrowing" their wrestlers to represent Russia. I'm just kidding. You know how it is Big,...I couldn't resist.

But really I wonder who will feel more at home, Russia or Iran? Russias ties are obvious but Iranians share a common culture and religion. (some what watered down after years of Soviet rule).

Also the methods of ?education? remind of Soviet times! A guy from the hotel staff said that he had seen the president of the Russian federation Mamiashvili beating the wrestlers. He saw him lining up, like soldiers, 3 or 4 wrestlers in the corridor in front of their rooms and slapping them in the faces. That happened in the hotel part where the greco wrestlers were accommodated. Probably these were the guys who didn't place.

Olympic Champ

I think Gable did that too.

I don't think Gable ever smacked his wrestlers in the face.