Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Gatsalov is someone cares to translate

Akzent, how does Gatsalov contradict himself on being religious?

I guess your previous post explains this. I tried to delete my post but couldn't figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    You are welcome. At least I know someone is reading this stuff.

Those online translations just butcher the interview. Just like English, Russian language has many phrases that cannot be translated word for word.
    I know what you mean Big. Many things I try to translate from Farsi make no sense in English.

Olympic Champ

To delete a post, click "EDIT" at the bottom of the post, then click "Delete," then click the "delete this post" option and delete it.

Olympic Champ

Interview continues:

Journalist: Is it hard to live away from the family?

I am used to it. I miss home but what can you do? An athlete's career is short. If I miss something today, I will never catch up. When I stop wrestling, and it will happen in 5-6 years, I will turn completely to the family.

Journalist: You got married pretty early---at 19 years old. Was it a well thought out decision?

Yes, I felt the need to have a family. I love children a lot, that is a complete happiness in life. I only need about a half hour with kids and all the negative stuff disappears.

Journalist: Kids probably never leave you alone

Yeah. My oldest son and I already wrestle around. He is 3.5 years old but he is already begging me to get him a uniform, wrestling shoes and a singlet.

Journalist: What if he wants to wrestle on a high level?

It will have to be his own decision. I will not force him to train under any conditions.

keep it coming big, this is great.

Olympic Champ

You got it gutfirst!

Journalist: Are you planning on participating at European Championships in April?

No. However, I will participate in a team camp in Adler. Only there it is possible to get ready. Conditions are favorable there, such as regiment and the right diet.

Journalist: It is not a secret that some wrestlers are not that enthusiastic about team training camps. Since you are going to miss European Championships, it seems that you will simply be a sparring partner for your own opponents.

(Pause) I feel it is my duty to come to a training camp. First of all, I will be training myself there but I also cannot forget about my teammates. If we don't help each other, who else will support us? There is a latent rule in our team. Everyone is working to help the number one wrestler. When someone is getting ready for an important International tournament and asks you to train with him, you can't say "No". This is what Dzhambulat Tedeev, Russian head coach of freestyle wresting, always tells us.

Olympic Champ

The end of the interview:

Journalist: In Russia there are wrestlers with so many different talents in all weight classes. Conflicts of characters and interests are probably impossible to avoid in this situation. How do you deal with such conflicts?

Tough question. Everyone wants to be first. That is obvious. However, there are clear rules on how to make the team. If a newcomer wins Russian Nationals, he is given an opportunity to compete at an International tournament. If he does well there, he goes to World championships. If he loses, then the coaches are forced to decide between him and a more accomplished wrestler in the same weight class who, lets say, wasn't in the best shape at the National tournament and lost. In my opinion, this system is objective and avoids starting unnecessary conflicts.

THE END!

PS Pay attention to this last paragraph. This is basically how Russian system of making the team works.

I don't have any problem with the Russian system but I don't think it avoids conflict as well as the American sytem. But still the Russian system has it's merits.