Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Gatsalov is someone cares to translate

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    It is possible that some of the younger guys can push me aside. Nobody is irreplaceable. However, the wrestler that wants to do that has to prove that he is ready. There are many young wrestlers with great potential but they have not realized it yet. On top of that, often even a little threat by the newcomer to a titled veteran is often blown out of proportion as a big story. This is how it was with me when in the finals of an international tournament in Tashkent I was challenged by one young wrestler. I was not ready then like I wanted, received a much tougher draw than he did, and in the final barely moved my legs. But he resisted and gave me a real fight. Right away there emerged some voices stating: "Ah, look at that guy, look how he wrestled against Ghadzhimurad"!
    This part of the interview shows Gatsalov's arrogance.
    1. His intolerance towards opponents: He even didn't mention the name of the guy as if he didn't know him. Doing so, Gatsalov tries to ignore him. It was Kurban Kurbanov. #1 is due to:
    2. his narcissism.
    3. His propensity to lie. In comparison with Gatsalov, Kurbanov is not ?a young wrestler?. He is exactly of Gatsalov's age. By saying he was a newcomer, Gatsalov tries to belittle even the ?little threat? and to present the tight score of the match in Tashkent as an accidental result of the childish enthusiasm of a young wrestler. It is well known that Kurbanov was a BIG threat for him. In that season, Kurbanov wrestled well not only in Tashkent, but also on several other tournaments and the Russian federation knew that he could threaten Gatsalov's new world triumph. That is the reason why the federation made everything possible in order to eliminate Kurbanov who was going to compete for Uzbekistan at the 2006 worlds. In a quite suspicions meeting of the FILA bureau, the Russian members succeeded in ?convincing? the other members to vote the suspension of Kurbanov. This happened on Sept. 23 2006, only 5 days before the beginning of the freestyle worlds. Quite an action by reason of ?a little threat by the newcomer?.
    4. His double moral standards. When talking about religion (and this his favorite topic) Gatsalov is comparable with Slay; the only difference ? he is Muslim. In countless statements, Gatsalov said how important for him religion is; how God, religious education in the family, reading the Koran (in questionnaires, he always gives ?Koran? as the answer to the question ?which is your favorite book??) and pilgrimage to Mecca helped him to build up a personality characterized by high morality, modesty and humanity. Obviously statements don't corespondent with behavior. Several times (also in the case of this last interview) Gatsalov's double games became targets for the criticism of some of the Muslims among the Russian wrestling fans.

Olympic Champ

I remember when Gatsalov lost to Kurtanidze at European championships a couple of years ago and then said Kurtanidze was not on his level.

Interview continues:

Right after Athens Games. I heard a lot that people prepare especially seriously against the leader and then I experienced it on myself. Nobody really knew me before 2004 Games. When I won the European championships before 2004 Games everyone thought it was a lucky win.

Journalist: And then these Games were victorious for you, especially since you competed in a heavier weight class than usual.

Yes, and since then everybody has been preparing to defeat me personally. Therefore, my coach Vladislav Tseboyev and I had to change a lot of things in my training regimen, and to add some new technique to my arsenal.

Journalist: Your ascend to the pinnacle of success turned out to be very quick. Did you suffer from the stardom fever?

A new report has been posted on the site of the Russian federation yesterday (http://www.wrestrus.ru/article.asp?id=1471, in Russian). It can help us to understand why when taking any decisions (incl. about the suspension of Kurbanov I mentioned earlier) FILA follows the dictates of the Russian members.

The event in Moscow: a meeting of FILA president Martinetti, the president of the Russian Wrestling Federation Mamiashvili and members of the Guardian Board of the RWF, incl. its director Suleiman Kerimov ? a billionaire (one of the 100 richest persons in the world; 7.1 $ according forbes http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/FDAK.html, about 12 according Russian sources), an oligarch in the oil business and of course... a member of the Russian parliament; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suleiman_Kerimov.

The unofficial cooperation between RWF and Kerimov began in 2004 and in May 2006 it was legalized by establishing a new institutional body ? the Guardian Board led by Kerimov. According to the contract between RWF and Kerimov, five activities of the RWF would be financed with Kerimov's money ? four of them connected with training, training camps, preparation for the 2008 games. The other one - ?consolidation of RWF position in the international wrestling institutions? (http://www.wrestrus.ru/article.asp?id=813, in Russian).

Obviously some of the money is spent for Martinetti's and Martinetti's family journeys. Last year his wife made a journey by train across Siberia together with Yarygin's widow Natalia who is a member of FILA bureau. Mrs Martinetti was so ?fascinated by the beauties of the Russian winter? that she said to her husband ?You must try this!?. And Mr Martinetti tried it. Instead of flying to Krasnoyarsk (as usual) for the recent World Cup, he made a Siberian journey by train on the the destination Moscow ? Krasnoyarsk. Not alone! With Mrs Martinetti and their daughter Catherine. And some FILA vice-presidents and members (except for Natalia Yarygina they have not been named). The RWF reported that that ?special cars? has been added to the train in order to create ?maximum comfort? during the journey. After arriving in Krasnoyarsk, Martinetti gave an interview to express his fascination and he said he felt much deeper in love with Russia. (sources in Russian: http://www.wrestrus.ru/article.asp?id=1376&vi=0, http://www.wrestrus.ru/article.asp?id=1421&vi=0)

At the recent meeting in Moscow, ?a program for global cooperation between FILA and Kerimov's structures and other members' of the Guardian Board structures? has been elaborated. What does ?global? mean? And what does ?Kerimov's structures? mean? Economic structures? Anyway, Gatsalov need not worry about any big or little threat.

Olympic Champ

Interview continues:

Tough moments happen in any athlete's career. I had them as well. Any time I would change my attitude towards training, my coaches and people close to me would notice it right away. When you win and your name is heard around the World, it is tough not to fall for such euphoria. The person himself doesn't always realize it as he thinks he is still the same but from the side it is easier to see. During those times I received a lot of help from my family. There were many discussions.

Journalist: Were those discussions harsh at times?

I try to keep such relationships that the only people that can be harsh to me are my father and elders. Actually, I don't take very well to dictatorial rules. I like dialog more when people tell me the situation and together we look for the right decision.
    Last edited by Big; 04-02-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Olympic Champ

Journalist: The time is coming where every tournament is considered with regard to Olympic Games in China. What kind of thoughts do you have as you attempt to participate in your second Olympic Games?

One thing I know for sure. These Olympic Games will be much harder than in 2004. I am already preparing myself for a big fight. I am not getting ready just for a trip to Peking but for a complete victory. The main plan will be not to give my opponents even one chance. By the way, preparation for Olympics Games is already in full swing. Tseboyev and I developed a specific training plan for me so that I can be in optimal condition by the Games. No matter how tough it is going to be for me, I still have to bring the Gold medal for Russia, those close to me, and all Russians.

Olympic Champ

Interview continues:

Journalist: What is the hardest in training?

To keep complete concentration. Olympic champions are always asked and invited to go somewhere. There is much spoiling. You have to say NO.

Journalist: Were you asked to go into politics?

I was asked to go everywhere. I was asked to get into business, to take part in shows. However, right now I don't want to fill up my head with that stuff.

Journalist: How do you feel about your colleagues, Greco-Roman wrestlers, Hassan Baroev and Varteres Samurgashev, actively trying themselves in show business?

I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. I figure it is a type of relaxation technique for them. The most important thing for them is not to forget where they came from and how they were able to achieve such heights.

BTW, thanks for the translations Big.

Olympic Champ

You are welcome. At least I know someone is reading this stuff.

Those online translations just butcher the interview. Just like English, Russian language has many phrases that cannot be translated word for word.

Olympic Champ

Interview continues:

Journalist: Is it true that you are impartial to alcohol?

Yes. I use other methods to relax. Not too long ago my 4th child was born (Gatsalov now has two sons and two daughters). I love to spend time with kids. There is no better way to relax than to spend time with them.

Journalist: Have you ever had to change diapers?

If my wife is busy and the baby is crying, then, of course, I will not just stay on the side. I will change diapers and will do whatever other things I can help with. However, when the baby is crying at night, my wife takes him to another room, understanding that I need to get some sleep before tomorrow's practice. In this case my wife and I have full understanding.