Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything exciting happening in the international world right now?

Default Anything exciting happening in the international world right now?

With the college and high school season going on I've been paying attention to things a lot more locally, but what have I missed in the past month or so? Any big shakeups with world rankings? Are there any good tournaments coming up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Default Re: Anything exciting happening in the international world right now?

FILA announces new Olympic and non-Olympic weight classes and rule changes :
    http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling...weight-classes

Almost all good changes in my opinion:
    1. Added weight classes for non-Olympic year
    2. FS tech fall increased to 10 points
    3. No more matches ended with a 5-point throw or 2 3-point scores
    4. Min. 30 min. rest between matches
    5. All takedowns two points (I think this is for both FS and GR but is unclear in the article)
    6. Expand repecharge to include losers to semi-finalists (proposed, but not yet approved)

Only major issue that was not addressed is the tie-breaker. Still no sudden death OT, which I think is the worst rule

I like how they added the non-Olympic extra weight classes, but my honest opinion is that we should remove women's wrestling and have ten weight classes for freestyle and greco.

Women's wrestling does not exist and is just an opportunity for medal hungry nations (read Russia, USA and China) to easily increase their medal count in a sport (women's wrestling) with zero depth or quality.

In my opinion they key to the quality of a sport is when investing money won't win you medals. It appears most Olympic sport champions are driven by how much that sport is funded; a few notable exceptions exist such as boxing, wrestling etc. In these sports a superpower can spend millions trying to gain a medal and still a poor kid from Iran/Cuba will take the gold.

I expect this part of the reason why they are increasing the women's categories because it curries favour with the big spending nations.

I think also they need to solve this issue with one are of the bracket having double the wrestlers than the other half.

I also believe that the draw of wrestlers is fixed to give preferable nations greater medal chances (Varner 2012).

I also believe the biggest supportes of the support should get more influence over the sport. Iran appears to have very little influence but has the greatest level of support.

I also think that the world championships should be split so muslim nations can host the world championships; rather than nations like Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Icestorm View Post
    I like how they added the non-Olympic extra weight classes, but my honest opinion is that we should remove women's wrestling and have ten weight classes for freestyle and greco.

Women's wrestling does not exist and is just an opportunity for medal hungry nations (read Russia, USA and China) to easily increase their medal count in a sport (women's wrestling) with zero depth or quality.

In my opinion they key to the quality of a sport is when investing money won't win you medals. It appears most Olympic sport champions are driven by how much that sport is funded; a few notable exceptions exist such as boxing, wrestling etc. In these sports a superpower can spend millions trying to gain a medal and still a poor kid from Iran/Cuba will take the gold.

I expect this part of the reason why they are increasing the women's categories because it curries favour with the big spending nations.

I think also they need to solve this issue with one are of the bracket having double the wrestlers than the other half.

I also believe that the draw of wrestlers is fixed to give preferable nations greater medal chances (Varner 2012).

I also believe the biggest supportes of the support should get more influence over the sport. Iran appears to have very little influence but has the greatest level of support.

I also think that the world championships should be split so muslim nations can host the world championships; rather than nations like Denmark.
    So it is clear to me that you are an Iranian wrestling fan and as anyone with just a little exposure to international wrestling knows, the Iranians have the greatest fans on earth so I hope you don't take any offense at the remarks below.

I don't know if you are just complaining or are serious, but it is time to face reality that women's wrestling is here to stay. Bashing woman's wrestling achieves nothing. They are behind the men, but are improving all the time. And to think that main reason for woman's wrestling is to increase medal count for rich nations is delusional. Women's wrestler get close to zero money in the US and there is no career path for them once they retire. they compete for the love of the sport. Your example of Cuba falls apart when you look at Judo (which is the most similar sport to wrestling). Cuba has been a powerhouse for many years in women's Judo. Women's wrestling is being promoted because the majority of the modern world wants to see equal opportunity for women.

Thinking the draws are fixed to help certain nations is common thinking in the US as well and we constantly hear our fans complains about fixed draws that hurt the US which I find extremely silly. Blind draws will help sometimes and hurt others. Varner got a nice draw and got a break when the Iranian got hurt, but he beat everyone he faced and earned his gold.

What evidence do you have the Iranians have limited influence over the sport?
    The US is a huge supporter and they have little influence or else the rest of the world would be wrestling folk style.

What Muslim nation beside Iran would host the worlds?
    Azerjiban did a few years ago and Iran did in the early 2000s and can't think of too many other Muslim nations that are being denied. Iran will be more and more of a pariah as it excludes Israel and women. If it can't accept the standards of the rest of the modern world it will be left out of mainstream.
    BTW, I remember that the worlds in Denmark went extremely well. The are more into GR but I recall that they packed the arena and were great host even if they only won a single medal.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    So it is clear to me that you are an Iranian wrestling fan and as anyone with just a little exposure to international wrestling knows, the Iranians have the greatest fans on earth so I hope you don't take any offense at the remarks below.

I don't know if you are just complaining or are serious, but it is time to face reality that women's wrestling is here to stay. Bashing woman's wrestling achieves nothing. They are behind the men, but are improving all the time. And to think that main reason for woman's wrestling is to increase medal count for rich nations is delusional. Women's wrestler get close to zero money in the US and there is no career path for them once they retire. they compete for the love of the sport. Your example of Cuba falls apart when you look at Judo (which is the most similar sport to wrestling). Cuba has been a powerhouse for many years in women's Judo. Women's wrestling is being promoted because the majority of the modern world wants to see equal opportunity for women.

Thinking the draws are fixed to help certain nations is common thinking in the US as well and we constantly hear our fans complains about fixed draws that hurt the US which I find extremely silly. Blind draws will help sometimes and hurt others. Varner got a nice draw and got a break when the Iranian got hurt, but he beat everyone he faced and earned his gold.

What evidence do you have the Iranians have limited influence over the sport?
    The US is a huge supporter and they have little influence or else the rest of the world would be wrestling folk style.

Azerjiban did a few years ago and Iran did in the early 2000s and can't think of too many other Muslim nations that are being denied. Iran will be more and more of a pariah as it excludes Israel and women. If it can't accept the standards of the rest of the modern world it will be left out of mainstream.
    BTW, I remember that the worlds in Denmark went extremely well. The are more into GR but I recall that they packed the arena and were great host even if they only won a single medal.

I am being serious of course. I don't think wrestling needs to include women's wrestling. The Olympics features synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics which are both female only events. Wrestling should be male only. Including women's wrestling is a misjudged attempt to get wrestling to appeal to a new group of fans; the key mistake is that these new fans will not emerge and they are alienating their current fan base.

This attempt to make wrestling more palatable to western women will not result in more fans.

Women's wrestling is being promoted simply because it allows the right nations to win more medals. Literally no one cares about women's wrestling; i expect the stadium is empty. Ha.

I am 100% sure the draw is rigged.

Fila is based in Switzerland and they had a swiss man and now a serbain man as there head. Who are these people where did they come from? What do they know about wrestling?

Although i guess I have the unpopular opinion that when wrestling was potentially dropped from the Olympics that they should have left and become an independent sport. We do not need the meddling IOC to damage (feminise) our sport. I would have suggested wrestling market itself akin to UFC, boxing or kickboxing.

In this format you could see events where you would have a card of fights featuring the best and most exciting wrestlers. It could travel around the world to the top wrestling hot spots and completely negate any of this bullshit that we ahve these days. I also prefer this to the tournament format.

Once this format is set up I would suggest the wrestling body offer the IOC the opportunity to apply for a wrestling exhibition at the Olympics for historical purposes; but only if they comply to the rules and regulations wrestling will offer and not otherwise. We should not be begging them, they should beg us.

Just lol. Iran needs to accept the modern world? The list of how America needs to catch up with the modern world is endless; please do not throw stones when you're in a glass house.
    How many ethnic Danes were there? In London the vast majority of wrestling fans were not white British people. Iran is the home of wrestling and even when Iran is not winning the medal it is people who are Persian derivatives taking the gold.
    Last edited by Icestorm; 12-25-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    turkey

Women's wrestling may not exist in Iran but in places like Canada and Japan it is considered as legitimate as men's wrestling.

Fila is political as he'll but the draw isn't rigged, it just sucks. Seriously, guys from Korea and Estonia got the great draw at this years worlds. Speaking of, Nabi of Estonia is now the worlds least likely 2x champion when Akbari from Iran failed another drug test and got a lifetime ban.

Oh and there are new weight classes now.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Women's wrestling may not exist in Iran but in places like Canada and Japan it is considered as legitimate as men's wrestling.

Fila is political as he'll but the draw isn't rigged, it just sucks. Seriously, guys from Korea and Estonia got the great draw at this years worlds. Speaking of, Nabi of Estonia is now the worlds least likely 2x champion when Akbari from Iran failed another drug test and got a lifetime ban.

Oh and there are new weight classes now.

Canada and Japan lol. You're not making the case you think you are. Could you have picked two countries where the men are more feminine and the women masculine. I am not prepared to watch wrestling be destroyed to fit in with the gender role reversals going on in poisoned countries.

Although when i was on holiday it made it easy for me to pick up Canadian girls; apparently Canadian men are feminine and not appealing ha.

You don't need to like women's wrestling but you do need to stop with the insults and stereotypes if you don't want your posts to be deleted.