Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I have a good suggestion for a rule change

Olympic Champ

Default I think I have a good suggestion for a rule change

A third period gets wrestled only if there were the same technical points scored in the 2 periods.

Say wrestler A techs wrestler B 1st period. Then, 2nd period wrestler B beats wrestler A 4:2. Wrestler A still wins because he teched while wrestler B won his period only by a decision.

Say wrestler A wins 4:2 1st period. Then, wrestler B techs wrestler A 2nd period. Wrestler B wins.

3rd period gets wrestled only if both wrestlers won their periods by a decision or a tech.

That really gives wrestler A no chance/time for a comeback. Lets say by the old rules (2-3 min. periods) a wrestler gets taken down, held for a count, and turned for 5 points in the first minute, he still has 5 minutes or so to make it up. No offense Big, but I think your supposed rule change would really be unfair. I remember Mohammadi's match against Quintana from last year's world cup. He got tech. in the first 7-0 then won 1-0, 1-0. Even though Quintana out scored him Mohammadi was able to comeback. Though I don't like it when a wrestler out scores another and loses, the wrestler who got tech. in the first still has a chance to comback w/o having to tech. the guy in the next period.

Olympic Champ

The flip side is that maybe Mohammadi would not allow a tech had he known there was a rule I am proposing. Often, wrestlers that are down 3 or 4 points just stop wrestling and wait for the next period.

However, if a wrestler wrestles very hard and still gives up 7 points, I don't think it is fair to win the match by scoring only 2 points in the next 2 periods.
    Last edited by Big; 04-16-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Yeah, but guys get caught sometimes in a bad position and held for points. They still deserve a realistic chance to comeback. I am not defending the current rules either. I still favor a type with continueal points through the match.

I don't know if you saw the match Big, but I wouldn't say Mohammadi "allowed" it to happen, he got caught. But I still know what you mean.

i really want them to bring back the rules from the mid 80s. Best for wrestling IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post
    i really want them to bring back the rules from the mid 80s. Best for wrestling IMO.
    Remind me Quick.

I say why not score the entire match and forget the period system

there may be more but this is what I remember:

two-3 minute periods with a 1 minute rest in between

12-15 point tech. 12 is fine with me. They changed it from 12-15 in 1987.

2 guts ok, multiple leglaces. they took away 2 guts in 1987.

any action starting in bounds will score going out of bounds.

cautions given for passivity, illegal moves, flagrant misconduct, or fleeing holds.

with each caution, wrestler has choice of putting opponent in par terre or keeping on the feet.

3 cautions calls = DISQ

Sudden death OT. Began in 1987.

double elimination bracket with "good point" system

no 3 point must rule. if a match ends 1-0 in regulation, that's it.

no ponts for stepping on line.

no backpoints.

no clinch.

no kidding.