Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weightclasses internationally

Default Weightclasses internationally

Hi folks,

I would like to discuss the matter of weight during world championships or olympics.

What I ve noticed is that the weightclasses in wrestling are absurd in the sentence that they sometimes vary 10 kg!
    No other sports has the same phenomenon.
    For example 74+ kg-84 kg. Everyone knows the huge amount of force a 74 kg guy has when a 84 kg is on top of him.

But what I would like to discuss is the following.

Looking at A. Saitiev I cannot imagine him being in the 84 kg class.
    i have tried to google his weight but could not find anything. For example one of his opponents such as Ketoev is also in the same weightclass. i can imagine him being 84.

is it that topwrestlers try to stick in the highest range of their class, therefore always around 82 83 kg to make the 84 kg?

The same goes for someone like Brandon Slay in the 74 kg who looked much bigger than Buvayser Saitiev. Does a slay also set high in his weight topping 73, 5 or do you also have wrestlers in the 74 class weighing 70 kg or 80 at the 84 class.

Im really curious about that.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Weightclasses internationally

Henry,

Yes, the weight classes are spread way too far apart. Apparently this is so because wrestling is not pulling enough money for the media during Olympics so we only get 7 weight classes instead of traditional 10.

Every wrestler's situation is different. Some don't mind cutting weight while others prefer competing at their natural weight. Also, some wrestlers are forced to go up or down to avoid another wrestler from their own country that they can't beat.

Don't forget that Slay wrestled when the rouney was still two days so it was easier to cut weight and wrestle well as opposed to wrestling from beggining to finish all in one day. Also, Slay always cut hard to get to 74. He actually competed at 84 kg the year before he won Olympics but didn't do well at US Nationals at that weight. Then Jesus told him to drop to 74 and he ended up doing very well. With God's help Slay literally went from a non placer at US Nationals to Olympic champ in just one year. Praise the Lord!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Henry,

Yes, the weight classes are spread way too far apart. Apparently this is so because wrestling is not pulling enough money for the media during Olympics so we only get 7 weight classes instead of traditional 10.

Every wrestler's situation is different. Some don't mind cutting weight while others prefer competing at their natural weight. Also, some wrestlers are forced to go up or down to avoid another wrestler from their own country that they can't beat.

Don't forget that Slay wrestled when the rouney was still two days so it was easier to cut weight and wrestle well as opposed to wrestling from beggining to finish all in one day. Also, Slay always cut hard to get to 74. He actually competed at 84 kg the year before he won Olympics but didn't do well at US Nationals at that weight. Then Jesus told him to drop to 74 and he ended up doing very well. With God's help Slay literally went from a non placer at US Nationals to Olympic champ in just one year. Praise the Lord!

Hope this helps.
    hey Big,

Thanks for the information.
    I really appreciate it. So its always topping your weightclass. Thats really a pity actually, because that disables alot of good wrestlers who are in the middle of the weightclasses due to to their physical shape to compete at their best.

By the way are you kidding on the Slay and jesus thing? I know he is religious, but does he actually think that jesus told him to wrestle in 74 kg class????

Well doesnt matter, just keep on wrestling!!

Thanx again.

by the way does anyone know the height of wrestlers such as reza yazdani, ketoev, sajidov or a, saitiev who wrestle in the 84 kg class?

Olympic Champ

The Turning Point
    Slay, who accepted Christ as his Savior at age 7, quit attending church regularly after age 13. But when two female U.S. Olympic volleyball players invited him to church one Sunday, he went along, albeit for the wrong reason. "These girls were beautiful," Slay says with a smile.

But God spoke to Slay that night and the weeks that followed, convicting him to change the focus of his life. "I started looking at my life, and I realized that I couldn't win the gold medal or be a champion if I had all this sin and junk in my life," Slay says. "I humbled myself and asked God to lead me. I realized life wasn't all about me."

Through the teachings at Rocky Mountain Calvary Chapel and a Wednesday night Bible study held in the Olympic training center, Slay realized that being a true champion required more than just physical and mental strength.

"You have to do the natural things, but the difference is the spiritual strength. That's how God can make you a complete person," Slay says.

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_m...D50019,00.html

On the size difference between Slay and Saitiev you have to remember that Slay is like 5'8 in a pair socks and Saitiev is like 6'1.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazdani View Post
    On the size difference between Slay and Saitiev you have to remember that Slay is like 5'8 in a pair socks and Saitiev is like 6'1.

okay how tall would reza be or ketoev?

If I were to guess I'd say Yazdani is like 5'10 and Ketoev is like 5'11. But what is your point by asking this?

Olympic Champ

According to the database Ketoev is about 6 feet and Yazdani is 5'8 or 5'9.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazdani View Post
    If I were to guess I'd say Yazdani is like 5'10 and Ketoev is like 5'11. But what is your point by asking this?
    just being curious op the weights en heights