Thread: Comeback Leipold?

Default Comeback Leipold?

Alexander Leipold wrestle in 5.th german lig. new german coch is Sven Thiele

2012 Alexander Leipold // Comeback - YouTube

Default Re: Comeback Leipold?

he looked very good. not sure about the quality of his opponent. hope he competes more.

Google Translate

Any wrestling at all is crazy impressive. I knew he'd had health problems but I had no idea how bad- suffered 3 strokes apparently!

Also (and hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread in a Brandon Slay direction) I find it interesting that he still seems to be highly respected in the German wrestling community despite the positive drug test at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Google Translate

Any wrestling at all is crazy impressive. I knew he'd had health problems but I had no idea how bad- suffered 3 strokes apparently!

Also (and hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread in a Brandon Slay direction) I find it interesting that he still seems to be highly respected in the German wrestling community despite the positive drug test at the Olympics.
    Has Germany has any other wrestlers in recent history that are World media lists like Liepold?
    This might explain why Germans ignore his positive test... And I don't think he has ever admitted to doping

No, that's not the explaination. The "positive" test was ignored by fans, media and even by official bodies (the German federation never accepted the test results and - even under threat of sanctions by Fila - didn't ban him from national competitions) because it was clear that the urine sample was manipulated. Investigations were made that found out that the quantity of urine recorded when Leipold gave it was 50 ml, whereas the quantities recorded in the laboratory were 85 ml in test A and 60 ml in test B. All this is documented. But nobody could find out how it happened that the urine tested was 95 ml more than the urine given. Confronted with these facts, Fila was forced at least to lift the ban, so Leopold participated at the 2001 worlds.

Very interesting. I had a conversation with a German Bundesliega wrestler (this is years ago now) and he said that a lot of Germans suspected foul play. I know a lot of wrestlers still consider Leipold the Olympic champion. His website says "winner of the Olympic tournament" or something like that.

Whatever happened, it's a very unfortunate event in a storied career.