Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Olympic Games: 66/96 kg discussion

Default re: 2012 London Olympic Games: 66/96 kg discussion

Rezaei beats totrov, Iran win the greco, everytime they get rid of one another comes and beats them, no-one can deny that iran is the greco powerhouse, 4 world cups in a row now the olympic title.

Quote Originally Posted by gbdaz View Post
    Rezaei beats totrov, Iran win the greco, everytime they get rid of one another comes and beats them, no-one can deny that iran is the greco powerhouse, 4 world cups in a row now the olympic title.
    Even when they cheat they can't stop Iran, feel so bad for Abdvali. Rezaei looked huge compared to Totrov, a bit surprised he became Olympic champ after Iran lost its number 1 and 2 last year.

I think it's been an exciting contest between Russia and Iran for team title and it ended with a gold medal match between the two.

Iran: Greco Super Power!
    Last edited by JudoWrestler; 08-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.

The Russian should've won the first period against the Iranian as he initiated a stand up faced him wizzered him and the Iranian touched out of bounds first...Don't understand why Iranian fans feel they are cheated kinda like the kid who gets picked last in gym class...I do feel the 66kg Iranian should've won against the French but FILA made up for it at 120kg in the more important final. Overall both team Russia and Iran are phenomenal Greco wrestlers and all there competitors are built like bricks but spare me the everyone is against us attitude.

I'm pretty happy for Iran but are you sure they won the team title? They have more golds 3-2, but less medals 5-3 than Russia. Either way, pretty amazing that they won 3 gold medals. All the Iranian fans have every right to be proud.

No need to bring race into criticism of the officials though. Guenot lost to a non-white guy in the semis, on a very quick start on the bottom position (no penalty called). He put a non-white guy pretty flat on his back in the bronze medal match- no pin called. In the gold medal final, a non-white guy correctly got awarded points for a leg foul. Greco is a hard sport to officiate, and everyone gets tough calls go against them sometimes. The problem is magnified under the current format because the par terre is so terribly important. Athletes have a huge incentive to cheat to get the advantage (with false starts, leg fouling, finger grabbing). Someone is always going to feel they got screwed in these situations.

RD, I think they now look at who was initiating the move in a pushout sequence; "hand out" isn't automatically a point against. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. However, like you point out, an opportunity for the refs to rule against Iran and they don't take it.

Snackem, I think Lester had sick-of-bronze-itis in his match against Germany. Same thing happened when he was at 74; he lost a nailbiter to a finalist and then got torched in the repechage.

Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    The Russian should've won the first period against the Iranian as he initiated a stand up faced him wizzered him and the Iranian touched out of bounds first...Don't understand why Iranian fans feel they are cheated kinda like the kid who gets picked last in gym class...I do feel the 66kg Iranian should've won against the French but FILA made up for it at 120kg in the more important final. Overall both team Russia and Iran are phenomenal Greco wrestlers and all there competitors are built like bricks but spare me the everyone is against us attitude.
    Its not who puts out first when they are initiating the attack so no the russian shouldn't have won the first the underhook was forcing not the wizzer, also I never said once about race white, asian, black doesn't matter who beats who, but I will criticise the officials if they are doing a crap job or robbing a guy that has worked his life for a moment and is clearly the better wrestler but robbed. And what did they make up for at 120, lopez won easily, and as for "spare me the everyone is against us attitude", pot calling the kettle black right there.

And last i heard they did off gold medals, iran first, russia second and cuba first but who knows, iran had more medals or better in istanbul and came second to russia.

http://www.london2012.com/wrestling/medals/

Gbdaz, Judowrestler made a comment about race. My post was not directed at you, my apologies if that was not clear.

I think RD was referring to 96 kg not 120 and just made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Gbdaz, Judowrestler made a comment about race. My post was not directed at you, my apologies if that was not clear.

I think RD was referring to 96 kg not 120 and just made a mistake.
    No thats fine i just wanted to make it clear it doesn't matter to me who wins as long as it's fairly officiated. And I understand what he means now even though it doesn't really make up for a robbery interesting that a facebook petition group has been formed even though nothing will happen, like with the iranian boxer.

‫صفحه ی حمایت از سعید عبدولی ( سعید تو برای ما قهرمانی ) | Facebook‬