Thread: Greco Results

Default Greco Results

Why is Greco so unpredicatable? Are the rules too upset friendly? Is everyone equally good at gut wrenches and it's just a crap shoot every day? Is there so much depth internationally, or what?

It seems like every year, a guy like Marinov or Kiss just comes out of nowhere, wins a major title, and thens disappears from the medal stands . Meantwhile guys like Gaber and Kvirkvelia go from teching their way through the Olympics to losing early in every major tournament in a year or two. I just dont' get it. Hat the hell?

Default Re: Greco Results

I am one of the few that actually likes Greco a lot. From what I've seen it seems like with the shorter periods there isn't enough time to work setups on your feet, and all you really need is one score to win a period. In my opinion the longer a match goes the more likely the better wrestler is to come out on top. I know that you have a similar set of rules in freestyle but at least they go to a leg clinch instead of to par terre where if you keep things scoreless, win the ball grab you get a chance to work your gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I wrestled Greco in the AF and I can tell you based on my experience, the guys with the best hand fighting and tie ups will always win. At the olympic level, they are all damn good at tie ups and defending certain ties. It then comes down to a Par Terre and in Greco...if you can't gut wrench someone to exposure, you didn't train hard enough. The finals with Byers was a perfect example. Both had great ties, and then freaking Byers locked up the hips, watched the clock, and hit that roll so hard he knocked the yeast outta him.

there is more parity in greco. the more talented and athletic guys generally choose greco in most european countries. any one of them can put together a great run at a world or olympic tournament.

First time I watched Greco live since the 2004 trials and it seems like when the top-tier guys get together nothing ever happens in the first 90 seconds. Maybe a pushout, but I didn't find it particularly exciting overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    First time I watched Greco live since the 2004 trials and it seems like when the top-tier guys get together nothing ever happens in the first 90 seconds. Maybe a pushout, but I didn't find it particularly exciting overall.
    I didn't watch but your assessment is basically the same assessment I have every time I watch greco. This may sound horrible, but I would rather watch a really good greco guy wrestle someone who absolutely sucks. Then there would be some high amplitude throws and a bit of excitement. If someone who has never watched greco before actually watched two high level guys for their first exposure to the sport, they would never watch another match again.

At that top level everyone is good on their feet, and everyone is good at defending from par terre.

Those two qualities are going to lend themselves to generally low scores.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Some greco wrestlers who can really run up the scores at a high level: Barymov and Sourian (55 kg), Nozuuri (60 kg), Lester (66 kg) as well as the guy who beat him last year (can't remember the name), Totrov, Abdel-Fatah and Guri (96 kg) and Lopez (120 kg). I agree that these matches too often turn into a gut wrench contest, but I do feel like guys are trying a bit harder to score on their feet than they used to under this set of rules, as well as lifting when on top. Check out the "good matches" thread for some really good greco bouts, my recent favorite is the 74 kg final at European's.

It may just be me, but it seems like the American guys (with a few exceptions) aren't real big throwers either.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 04-26-2012 at 01:00 AM.