View Poll Results: Who will win the worlds at 96 kg?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gatsalov (Russia) 5x world/Olympic champ

2 9.09%
  • Gayzumov (Azerybayjan) defending champ, 3x medallist, FILA wrestler of the year

11 50.00%
  • Gogchelidze (Georgia) world champ, 5x medallist

0 0%
  • Tigiev (Uzbekistan) Olympic silver

1 4.55%
  • Yazdani? (Iran) 2x world bronze

1 4.55%
  • Varner (USA)

6 27.27%
  • other

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 96 kg- world championship predictions

Default 96 kg- world championship predictions

The toughest weight in the world, with three legitimate superstars as well as some great contenders who could definitely pull out a victory. Many people, including myself, are predicting another Gatsalov/Gayzumov showdown in the finals this year. I'm taking Gayzumov this time, but it will be very close.

I assume Yazdani's wrestling for Iran, but he might not be since he lost at nationals. Also, someone mentioned on this forum that Saidov might be representing another nation. I hope so as it will make this weight even tougher.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 08-21-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Default Re: 96 kg- world championship predictions

Gatsalov had a great tournament at Russian Nationals, arguably the toughest 96kg bracket ever, but it's hard to pick against Gayzumov who has been consistently superb for the last year plus. Gogshelidze and Yazdani are excellent enough to upset the two top dogs, don't see either one winning gold though. Varner could medal depending on his draw.

You wonder if we get another Gazyumov v. Gatsalov final with Gatsalov coming out on top this time if the "a Russian not wrestling for Russia has to lose on purpose if he wrestles Russia's guy" rumors come back.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

This is my favourite and must be one of the toughest weights to win. SO many tough guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    You wonder if we get another Gazyumov v. Gatsalov final with Gatsalov coming out on top this time if the "a Russian not wrestling for Russia has to lose on purpose if he wrestles Russia's guy" rumors come back.
    What's a recent example that rumor applies to? Last year, Taymazov lost to Makhov, but they're both beasts and it didn't look fishy. Gazyumov beat Gatsalov, Shahin has beaten Russia when it counted, etc.

Akzent said that was an Ossetian tradition and not other Caucasus regions.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I assume Yazdani's wrestling for Iran, but he might not be since he lost at nationals.
    Yazdani will wrestle for Iran, the guy who beat him in trials lost badly in Poland tourney. it means Yazdani is fixed for Istanbul. although the team isn't officially announced yet.

I didn't hear any bad news about Yazdani in last 2 months, it's really rare to see him out of trouble ! so I think he is a gold medal favourite but as everybody says it's a very tough weight class.

wow im the only one who voted gatsalov

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    What's a recent example that rumor applies to? Last year, Taymazov lost to Makhov, but they're both beasts and it didn't look fishy. Gazyumov beat Gatsalov, Shahin has beaten Russia when it counted, etc.
    Probably the Gazyumov/Gatsalov final from 09 when they went 3 periods and Gatsalov lost the ball draw in the third, but won the period and the match.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12