Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When will they hold the world championship in Iran again?

Default Re: When will they hold the world championship in Iran again?

You have to be somehere to know it's dangerous? I've never been to Somalia or Afghanistan but heard it's a little rough. Guess I'd have to visit first hand though....

There is a strong Anti American sentiment in Iran. I wouldn't want to go if I were American personally.

Yeah, a couple of kids go hiking and they're suddenly spies.....

If we're going to start doing political arguments in this thread I'm going to delete it.

Getting it out there now, so that no one can claim they were surprised..
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    You have to be somehere to know it's dangerous? I've never been to Somalia or Afghanistan but heard it's a little rough. Guess I'd have to visit first hand though....

There is a strong Anti American sentiment in Iran. I wouldn't want to go if I were American personally.

Yeah, a couple of kids go hiking and they're suddenly spies.....
    Actually there is a very strong pro-America sentiment in Iran. If you had visited you'd know this. Lots of Iranians will try and show they are not against Americans and they will be particularly friendly towards you.

Maybe you should visit.

Iran is not a failed state or a war zone, this comparison with Afghanistan and Somalia is worthless.

Jensens you're right Iran probably wont have the world champs until the IRI ends. However this is wrong, especially if it's done because of women's wrestling. Security is not an issue, if Americans can travel to Takhti cup they can travel to the world champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    Iran is very dangerous. They have a crackpot as a leader and he has dangerous puppets.

The Americans jailed for 'espionnage' is one example of how people should stay away.
    Are you talking about the "hikers" on the iranian border, i mean come one who wants to hike on the iranian border. I for one can't wait for the mullah scum to be removed from a great country.

Hubbard - I don't want to get into the political argument here, but they're right about American wrestlers feeling very welcome at Iranian wrestling events, Takhti Cup for example. They were of course shocked to feel safe and be cheered because of the way Iran is depicted in media here. I remember that Iranian fans were particularly enthused about Mo Lawal back in 2006 or 2007 when he went out there and dominated a tournament. Iranians appreciate good wrestling, doesn't matter who does it.

I'm not talking about wrestling fans. I'm talking about radicals.

Are Iranian wrestlers paid like pro athletes in the US? Do they have their own league like the NFL? Or do they just travel around from country to country with basically one team?

Those are probably really dumb questions, but I am new to the international scene so I really don't know how other countries do it.

"Iran is very dangerous. They have a crackpot as a leader and he has dangerous puppets.
    The Americans jailed for 'espionnage' is one example of how people should stay away."

WtheTush and now Obama? And how many are imprisoned in the US and Gitmo without trial?

Wrestlers in Iran would be treated just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Are Iranian wrestlers paid like pro athletes in the US? Do they have their own league like the NFL? Or do they just travel around from country to country with basically one team?

Those are probably really dumb questions, but I am new to the international scene so I really don't know how other countries do it.
    Yes, Iran has a freestyle league (not Greco), this league isn't productive or something like that. it's just good for the fans to see more wrestling and for the top wrestlers to get a good money. (20/30/40 000$ for less than 2 monthes) many good non-iranian wrestlers came and wrestled in this league, Musulbes, Makhov, Gatsalov, Gogshelidze, Mansurov, Fedoryshyn, Mindorashvili (lol, Mindo lost to everyone) you can see some matches by searching "Iran Wrestling League" on youtube. I'm not sure if there is any income for sponsors, some of them just love wrestling.

also Wrestlers are paid when they are in national camp, not a big money but still better than nothing. most of Iranian wrestlers have another job (or study) to do, so I can't call them pro athletes. but when someone want to make the world team, he must leave his job focus full-time on training.