View Poll Results: Who wins at 84?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sokhiev, Uzbekistan (world champ, 3x medalist)

3 9.38%
  • Aldatov, Ukraine (world champ, 2x medalist)

0 0%
  • Sanderson, USA (Olympic champ, world silver)

25 78.13%
  • Ganev, Bulgaria (defending champ)

0 0%
  • Saritov, Russia

0 0%
  • Goudrazi, Iran

1 3.13%
  • Sharifov/Temrezov, Azerbayjan

3 9.38%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 84 kg- world championship predictons

Default Re: 84 kg- world championship predictons

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    This is silly. First of all, no one claimed he was the "heavy favourite" (sorry, couldn't resist as a stupid American) and you're inferring quite a bit without any basis to claim it was a lack of confidence. Penn State explained the choice for Cael and Varner's tournament as a scheduling issue, despite his training for the World team he still has a number of responsibilities as head coach of PSU. It's also a convenient thing for you to say in hindsight, as it was not nearly as clear when they made this decision that Poland would be so much tougher than Romania. From what I recall, people expected some of the 84kg studs to show up at the Romanian tournament but they didn't. Even if you have an actual reason to believe that they ducked Poland to wrestle in the easier Romanian tournament (which you don't) then that's far more likely to be a strategic choice than a confidence issue. If Cael weren't confident then he wouldn't have entered World Team Trials after a seven year layoff. He didn't return to win against easy competition, he returned to win another world title. This is the same attitude that all the top 84kg wrestlers have, yet you did not apply the same scrutiny to other elite 84kg wrestlers who did not attend Poland. To me, Cael certainly has a less than 50% chance of winning Worlds since it's such a deep weight class, but you're a bit overly dismissive of his chances given how wide open and relatively weaker this weight division is.
    All of this could be true. Although I definitely think winning America WTT and Romania doesn't make you the heavy favourite. I think Goudarzi could equally be as much a favourite after all he won two much tougher competitions (Iranian nationals and Poland).

He is the heavy favourite according to the voting on here, which is a forum of people with a lot of wrestling knowledge.

I picked Sanderson because Sokhiev and Aldatov are prone to meltdowns when things don't go their way. Aldatov always wrestles his best at the worlds though and I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he won. I am hoping for (and predicting) an Aldatov/Sanderson final because they both have wide-open styles. Aldatov can rack up points so quickly on the ground, he puts a lot of guys away after just one takedow.

This is silly. First of all, no one claimed he was the "heavy favourite".
    Indeed.

I'm pretty sure I said that there was not a heavy favorite anywhere at this weight.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Has goudarzi been confirmed for iran? I heard the decision was still yet to be made. From what i've seen I say if amini goes he has a good chance given his international performances, mirzaei unpredictable if he's ready and wrestling well he wins it, if goudarzi goes i don't think he'll medal i predict a shock early round exit, given his limited international experience, however he has got it done against some top iranian competition.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Indeed.

I'm pretty sure I said that there was not a heavy favorite anywhere at this weight.
    I don't know how you guys can't understand this; when one person gets 72% (with the next guy having 16%) of the vote that makes him the heavy favourite. If he was a slight favourite he'd have a slight lead with like 37%. I get it though Americans voting for the American.

Seriously? An informal poll voted on by a handful of English-speaking wrestling fans qualifies Cael as a "heavy favourite"? If you actually read what posters are specifically saying, no one has suggested that Cael is head and shoulders above the competition. Kudukhov and Makhov (despite his recent loss) could be considered heavy favorites, Cael most certainly is not.

Seriously? An informal poll voted on by a handful of English-speaking wrestling fans qualifies Cael as a "heavy favourite"? If you actually read what posters are specifically saying, no one has suggested that Cael is head and shoulders above the competition. Kudukhov and Makhov (despite his recent loss) could be considered heavy favorites, Cael most certainly is not.
    Well, I know he isn't the heavy favourite in reality. I meant on here.

The regional Cael won looked like he was in a gym putting on a takedown clinic. The Team Trials he won by beating a current World Silver medalist. Big question is can he beat the guys he will face at the World Tournament?
    I say he can.
    He has a much better grasp of freestyle wrestling now than when he won his Olympic Gold medal wrestling Collegiate against Freestyle. He is training with Varner who is no slouch. He has Bobby Douglas in his corner coaching again.

He has a goal and we saw him when he had one before... he came home with Gold.

I don't see Sanderson losing to anyone really. His TDs are amazing.

Will Salas be there?