Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heskett heart surgery.

Default Re: Heskett heart surgery.

Just imagine all of the time spent in the wrestling room, all of the time on the mat in dual meets and tournaments, all of the stress of traveling internationally and participating in world class tournaments and the guy has a bum ticker that could have dropped him dead on a dime.

5 years ago OSU would not have had that AED nearby.

Lucky lucky guy it hit when and where it did.

Had this erupted 2 weeks ago in Baku, they would have been flying him home in a casket.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Had this erupted 2 weeks ago in Baku, they would have been flying him home in a casket.
    The timing is what is so amazing. Had he been out running by himself, or like you said, in Baku, or even when they were out running the Cog, without having an AED nearby, this could have been a much sadder story. Not to get all sappy on you guys, but my first grade teacher, Sr. Camille, told me that we all have a job on this earth, and when we're done with this job, God calls us home. Clearly, Joe has not done his job.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    The thought of such things just gave me chills. I don't ever want to think about a hypothetical like that again.

http://www.themat.com/index.php?SPSI...rticleID=17233

Another article about Joe.

Amazing the different feelings a story like this can bring out. There's the sad and maybe even angry feelings for him that he won't be able to defend his US Open title and attempt to build on his showing in Baku. Then there's the feeling of happiness that he was where he was and able to get prompt life saving medical care.

Another feeling or mine mirrors that of his doctor. I'm amazed that he was able to compete at the level that he did given the limits of his heart from a physical standpoint. I suppose that's where the figurative heart takes over and it shows just what kind of competitor he is.