Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Updated Rankings

Default Re: Updated Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by gbdaz View Post
    I'd say Amini is the number 1 at 84, beating, abdusalamov, sokhiev, ktsoev and salas and winning takhti cup and winning the asian champs last few months pretty impressive, Looking at everyone else none of them have won matches like that this year.
    In retrospect I think Amini must be number one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    It would be deep, but there are no studs like Kudukhov, Tsargush, Gazyumov, Gatsalov, Makhov, Taymazov, Garzon, Kumar, etc. Maybe this weight is deep enough that Cael won't medal even if he does make expected improvements in the next few months after his first competition in 7 years, but I will be very surprised if he's not right there with just about everyone. Who matches up so well with Cael that they will definitely beat him? He's beaten several wrestlers better than Sokhiev and 84kg Aldatov which was when he was still a freestyle novice - he's rusty today but he also has a style a lot more attuned to freestyle (good defense, powerful, solid position, can score in bunches, good par terre for an American, etc)

As for Burroughs, it's just not clear who to rank beyond the top 4-5 - almost all of the top guys from 2008 Olympics are gone and only a few young guys have really stood out. After Geduev finished 2nd at Russian Nationals against some very accomplished guys, I don't think it's crazy to rank him around 6-8 and Burroughs beat him. Maybe he's not ready to do well at Worlds yet if top guys have scouted him better, but it's also not crazy to rank him after the Geduev win in an unclear weight class.
    The interesting point is you mention he has beaten better wrestlers than Sokhiev. Sure a lot of these guys from the past were more technical than Sokhiev, but as I said the rules have changed wrestling styles and now a guy like Sokhiev can pose a much bigger threat.

Burroughs beat Geduev, however Geduev is known to be weak against powerful aggresive wrestlers. So it is possible a guy like burroughs may beat him but it doesn't mean he will go on to have the same sort of success Geduev can achieve. I think as soon as Burroughs meets more physical internationals he will be in trouble.

I agree that Burroughs is likely to have more trouble against really physical wrestlers at the weight class, though most of the top guys aren't as in your face as Howe even if they are better at this point. Don't really understand your point though about Geduev being weak against powerful aggressive wrestlers which implies Burroughs is exactly that but will have the most trouble with other powerful, physical wrestlers..? I don't consider Burroughs to be aggressive, he's active but he's most effective when he has some distance. Granted, his hand-fighting has improved dramatically in the last few months and though it won't be at the level of best Europeans may be enough to prevent him from getting in weak positions.

Geduev beat M. Murtazaliev and Goudrazi, among others. Both pretty powserful guys. I don't think anyone is outmuscling Burroughs. He'll be more vulnerable to a defensive star like Tsargush, or someone who can rack up a lot of par terre points like Chamasurlaev. (Speaking of Chama, is he still wrestling at 74?)

I keep getting Amini and Mizrae confused, I though Amini was the one who just crapped out at the Iranian nationals, but I re-read that thread adn he sat out with an injury. Amini will definitely be ranked high when I update these.

Anyone got feedback on other weights? Lots of commentary on 84 but not much else on this thread so far. Any other suggestions for 74 and 120? I'm probably least informed about these two weights.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 07-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Geduev beat M. Murtazaliev and Goudrazi, among others. Both pretty powserful guys. I don't think anyone is outmuscling Burroughs. He'll be more vulnerable to a defensive star like Tsargush, or someone who can rack up a lot of par terre points like Chamasurlaev. (Speaking of Chama, is he still wrestling at 74?)

I keep getting Amini and Mizrae confused, I though Amini was the one who just crapped out at the Iranian nationals, but I re-read that thread adn he sat out with an injury. Amini will definitely be ranked high when I update these.

Anyone got feedback on other weights? Lots of commentary on 84 but not much else on this thread so far. Any other suggestions for 74 and 120? I'm probably least informed about these two weights.
    Goudarzi had geduev beat was it not for blatant cheating counting a throw after the time, it was a hail mary throw, goudarzi was beating him worse than burroughs was 2-0 3-1 if i remeber, at 120 shemarov won the europeans and modzmanashvili beat akhmedov at euros he is pretty talented. 74 there isn't really much depth internationally goudarzi and tsargush are clearly the number 1 and 2 in my eyes, after that there is a pretty big gap. I was thinking to put blanco in at 74 but lost to marable, but he beat fundora and hatos this year he easily beat hatos as did tahmasebi and hatos medalled at worlds last year, shows how weak worlds is as a international tournament.

Arm-Spin you should consider Georgia's Levan Berianidze at heavyweight. He won bronze at 2010 Worlds a month before his 20th birthday, which is pretty ridiculous for a big guy. Haven't noticed any results from him since though, so maybe he's been injured. Georgia sent another talented young heavyweight to the World Cup and the aforementioned Modzmanashvilli to Europeans (upset Akhmedov there). If Berianidze is their guy, he's capable of beating anyone with the exception of Taymazov and Makhov.

At 55kg I would consider the two bronze medalists from last Worlds Inaba from Japan and Chamizo from Cuba, especially the Cuban who is very young. Inaba was stuck behind Olympic runner-up Matsunaga before, but he had some good results before '10 Worlds including 2nd at 2009 Golden Grand Prix tournament.

Should former world medalist Prizreni be in consideration at 60kg? He made the finals at Europeans losing to Sat and beating Fedorishin on the way. He didn't have a very good Worlds though losing to the Cuban Valdez, who is good, but not top 5 in the world.
    Last edited by bwh27; 07-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Well I was wrong about Berianidze, he finished 8th at Grand Prix. Some other notable results include Huseynov winning 60kg and Asgarov finishing 3rd, defending world champ Ganev finishing 8th or 9th, another awful tournament from Herbert unfortunately, etc. Magomedov from Azerbaijan may be worthy of a spot after winning 55kg, he had previously won 2010 Europeans over Lebedev and Velikov.

FILA : Site de la Fdration Internationale des Luttes Associes

OK here are my final rankings then. I took the comments and the recent Grand Prix tournaments into account; basically I weighted this year's results a bit more heavily when updating these, especially at 84 (which is totally redone based on suggestions). Also I put 7 athletes in each category. This puts Varner out of my rankings, even though I think he has a legitimate chance to medal.

55:
    1- Lebedev
    2- Mansurov
    3- Yang
    4- Otasultranov
    5- Khinegashvili
    6- Magomedov
    7- Chamizo

1- Kudukhov
    2- Sat
    3- Fedorishin
    4- Huseynov
    5- Asgarov
    6- Murtazaliev
    7- Prizeni

66-
    1- Kumar
    2- Hasanov
    3- M. Batirov
    4- Taghavi
    5- Shahin
    6- Hoseikani
    7- A. Batirov

1- Tsargush
    2- Goudrazi
    3- Chamasurlaev
    4- Farniev
    5- Gabor
    6- Mu. Murtazaliev
    7- Burroughs

84:
    1- Amini (kept flip-flopping between him and Sokhiev, I still predict a Sokhiev/Sandeson final)
    2- Sokhiev
    3- Saritov
    4- Urishev
    5- Sanderson
    6- Aldatov
    7- Ganev

96:
    1- Gayzumov
    2- Gatsalov
    3- Gogchelidze
    4- Muradov
    5- Yazdani
    6- Tigiev
    7- Ketoev

120:
    1- Makhov
    2- Taymazov
    3- Akhmedov
    4- Dlagnev
    5- Masoumi
    6- Chacirolu
    7- Berinadze

Looks good.

Much appreciated as always.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12