Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated Rankings

Default Re: Updated Rankings

Pretty sure #2 Iranian at 66kg has wins over Garzon, Gogaev, Metcalf and Taghavi this year.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I thought that was Mizrae for some reason, can't keep all the Iraninas straight. It was a triple clinch match, right?

Do you also have an issue with Muradov and Batirov being ranked where they are, since they haven't won a world title lately? I honestly think Sanderson is better than all those other guys (and I'm not American BTW). Ganev and Aldatov can wrestle comically poorly at times, while Urishev, Saritov and the Iranian have never even wrestled in a world championship as far as I know. What are your suggested rankings for 84 kg?
    I think it depends are your rankings based on what has been achieved or who you think would beat who.

If its based on who you think you would win then its very hard to rank wrestlers if its based on achievements (weighted towards recent) then Sanderson is way too high and Muradov too.

I agree with the posters who suggested Hossenkhani, he has wrestled very well recently albeit losing early in the Asian Championship.

For my 84 rankings i'd need to use the website that lists wrestlers and competitions they entered. Does anyone know the URL for this website?

Although off the top of my head I'd include Ktsoev and Amini, I'd remove Sanderson and move saritov higher up the ranking.

Maybe
    1. Sokhiev
    2. Saritov
    3. Amini
    4. Urishev
    5. Ktsoev.

Yeh, it was a triple clinch match. I don't think Sanderson is that good I think he will be lucky to medal at the WC. There is a wide gulf between American national championships and the international talent he will face. Although I understand you want to include more Americans (such as burroughs) since many of the guys who post here are American .
    Last edited by JudoWrestler; 07-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoWrestler View Post
    I don't think Sanderson is that good I think he will be lucky to medal at the WC. There is a wide gulf between American national championships and the international talent he will face.
    Given that Cael is a former World Silver and Olympic Gold medalist, something tells me that he'll be able to handle the "wide gulf" between US tournaments (where he ONLY beat a former World Silver to make the team) and the guys he'll face in September.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Given that Cael is a former World Silver and Olympic Gold medalist, something tells me that he'll be able to handle the "wide gulf" between US tournaments (where he ONLY beat a former World Silver to make the team) and the guys he'll face in September.
    Well we will see....

When Sanderson won was a different era to now. Also the silver medalist he beat is very inconsistent.

I watched him in the WTT, I think he will struggle. Although I have wanted Sanderson to compete again, I was always of the thought that in the present era he would be average at best. So now we can find out and maybe I will have to eat my words.

What makes you think he would be worse during this era? The current rules accentuate Sanderson's strengths- takedowns and mat control- and minimize his weakness- ground wrestling. Sanderson might not win the worlds, but it won't be because of the rules. Also I want to point out that Sanderson has beaten four guys- A. Saitiev, Mindorashvilli and Magomedov that are more accomplished than anyone on this lsit.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoWrestler View Post

When Sanderson won was a different era to now. Also the silver medalist he beat is very inconsistent.
    Like arm spin points out, its definitely a different era. Its a weaker era.

The weight was MUCH tougher back in 03 and 04.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Well in my opinion. The game has changed a lot, people are going for shots and just driving their opponents out of the mat, the wrestlers are bigger faster and stronger and Sanderson does not look that strong or athletic and is a one trick pony (ankle pick).

Basically I think he will struggle with the bigger more powerful wrestlers.... such as Sokhiev, Amini and Ktsoev. All of these guys keep their distance, stay defensive and then go for big powerful shots. I don't think Sanderson will do well against this style.

You really think that Sokhiev is bigger and more powerful than Sanderson?? You may dismiss the abilities of American wrestlers outright, but Varner is a pretty strong 96kg and he says that Cael feels much stronger than an 84kg wrestler. There's no doubt in my mind that Cael is more powerful and stronger than he was in 2004 when he relied on speed and slickness. It's fine to think that Sanderson will struggle today, but you're not doing a very good job presenting your case. It also doesn't make sense to me to conclude based on World Team Trials that he won't be ready to medal considering it was his first time back from competition and he will inevitable make significant improvements before September yet he killed everyone regardless. He didn't look nearly as one-dimensional as back in 2004 in my opinion - he had more offensive attacks than the ankle pick, hand fought better, motion wasn't as active but very solid and improved defense, scored in bunches which he never used to do, and better in par terre. At the same time, he looked very rusty so despite his vast improvements as a freestyle wrestler, he's obviously not at the level that he achieved in '04. It's not inconceivable to me that he could reach that level though albeit with a different style, certainly helps that no one is nearly as good as Sajidov or Satiev at this weight currently. I agree with you that Sanderson doesn't merit being 2nd on this list yet, but it's just nitpicking since this isn't a particularly strong or accomplished weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    What makes you think he would be worse during this era? The current rules accentuate Sanderson's strengths- takedowns and mat control- and minimize his weakness- ground wrestling. Sanderson might not win the worlds, but it won't be because of the rules. Also I want to point out that Sanderson has beaten four guys- A. Saitiev, Mindorashvilli and Magomedov that are more accomplished than anyone on this lsit.
    Is #4 Romero?
    His finals opponent in 2004 from Korea (Moon?) ended up with at least two Olympic medals. Did he have any other results?