Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cael's training partner?

Default Cael's training partner?

Who does Cael choose to help tweak and prepare him for international competition?

He is head and shoulders above everyone currently wrestling. A training partner is usually someone who is more than just a workout dummy. Where does Cael find this guy?

Can't be Varner as he will have his own partner and be working with him more... as well as working directly with Cael at times so he will get even better. Cael needs his own partner and his family/nepotism won't come to the rescue on this one.

Who does he choose?

Default Re: Cael's training partner?

Cael and Varner will be official training partners, no doubt in my mind. You may disagree whether it's a good idea, but they've made that clear in interviews. That being said, he will have the opportunity to train extensively with Herbert, Reader and other wrestlers at the Olympic Training Center. In the past, the coaches have convinced foreign athletes to occasionally train at the OTC temporarily such as World medalists Arzoumanidis (Greek 120kg) and Japanese wrestler Cejudo beat in Olympic final - hopefully they can get some different looks for Cael before the Worlds. It would be awesome if Hrovat could convince some of his Russian pals to come train briefly in the US, he seemed to develop genuine friendship with a handful of the best wrestlers in the world (ie Aldatov, Gatsalov, Taymazov, Farniev, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Who does Cael choose to help tweak and prepare him for international competition?

He is head and shoulders above everyone currently wrestling. A training partner is usually someone who is more than just a workout dummy. Where does Cael find this guy?

Can't be Varner as he will have his own partner and be working with him more... as well as working directly with Cael at times so he will get even better. Cael needs his own partner and his family/nepotism won't come to the rescue on this one.

Who does he choose?
    It is Varner. Dont understand the insinuation about nepotism.

Was Cael not "head and shoulders above everybody" last time he was on our Olympic team? I would say almost definitely.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I imagine he could benefit some from working with Hrovat. Hrovat is the "student of the sport" kind of guy and just spent a good bit of time studying the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    It is Varner. Dont understand the insinuation about nepotism.

Was Cael not "head and shoulders above everybody" last time he was on our Olympic team? I would say almost definitely.
    I don't remember the details, but Cael was pushed to the limit in 2004 by Lee Fullhart trying to make the Olympic team. Didn't Fullhart beat him at the US Nationals and then Cael had to wrestle the mini tournamnet and beat Fullhart inthe 2 out of 3 series?

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I don't remember the details but Cael was pushed to the limit in 2004 buy Lee Fullhart trying to make the Olympic team. Didn't Fullhart beat him at the US Nationals and then Cael had to wrestle the mini tournamnet and beat Fullhart inthe 2 out of 3 series?
    Hmm...This I dont know, but I'll take your word for it.

I don't remember the details, but Cael was pushed to the limit in 2004 by Lee Fullhart trying to make the Olympic team. Didn't Fullhart beat him at the US Nationals and then Cael had to wrestle the mini tournamnet and beat Fullhart inthe 2 out of 3 series?
    Yes. Fullhart was very tough, so Cael may not have been head and shoulders above him but he was significantly better in my opinion, just let the pressure of expectations get to him at US Open according to him.

Yup. Fullhart also won one of the Olympic trials matches. The book "Silent Gladiators" has an excellent synopsis of the mindsets and strategies of both wrestlers. Basically Fullhart (who is nowhere near as talented as Sanderson) blocked off the ankle picks and tried to hammer Sanderson into submission. It almost worked- Sanderson scored an early exposure in the final match and then ran like hell. YouTube - ‪Cael Sanderson vs. Lee Fullhart‬‏

Learn something new everyday.