Thread: Russian Wrestling Tactics (Technique)

Default Russian Wrestling Tactics (Technique)

So instead of doing work, I’ve decided to spend my day at the office watching Russian wrestling on Yotube, in an attempt to discover what’s making
    them so good. One of the things I’ve picked up, is they are masters of the “push and pull” wrestling. This push and pull works to perfection these days,
    as neither wrestler wants to be pushed out. Their greats: Ketoev, gatsalov, mavlet are doing it.

So this is how it goes:

They get their opponents to turn the wrestling match, into a ‘tie up and push’ match, somewhat like sumo.

the russian will move in, tie up, and will push in hard into his opponent. Then they come out of the tie up, and will do fakes….

They will move in once again, tie up, and will push in, in the traditional, ‘bent-at-the-waist but straight knees Russian stance’. Keep in mind their opponent does not want to step out of bounce, so they will push back. Then they will come out of the tie up.

Meanwhile the Russians are aware they are pushing in and are posting, and their opponent will be looking for throws or ‘pop’ and shoot techniques. So they will stay on a defensive mindset, while in the tie up, and will expect their opponent’s attack, and thus they will counter attack, if the opponent decides to shoot or attempt a throw.

THEN. They will move in on the third time, or so, will FAKE a tie up, and will attack an opponent who’s expecting the Russian to come in to tie up and push once again. The russians are thus able to catch their opponents off balance, and coming in hard into them.

Please look at Ketoev’s entire finals match.

So while on the tie up, the Russians are almost exclusively defensive, and will push, and will only counter attack.

It is right before the tie up, or as soon as there is contact, that the Russian will attack, their off balance opponent.

When I mentioned Batirov to be a great technician, The Big Stiffy said ‘I saw a few little mistakes such as stepping with the same arm and same leg when making contact with his opponent” . But they are fully aware of this.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 10-06-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Default Re: Russian Tactics

Nice observations. Many Russians will throw from the tie up. I believe Ketoev threw Yazdani from the tie at the World Cup. A. Saitiev is the master of the inside trip from a double under hook. As I recall Gatsalov is known to shuck/snap down from the tie also.

Default Re: Russian Wrestling Tactics (Technique)

What advantages are there from the "Russian" stance? This is something I've kind of wondered about for a while just being curious.

i don't think there is anything new about this tactic. it's a great idea, but it's a ***** to get wrestlers to get it done. the hardest part is having the discipline to stick to this game plan and the talent to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfirst View Post
    i don't think there is anything new about this tactic. it's a great idea, but it's a ***** to get wrestlers to get it done. the hardest part is having the discipline to stick to this game plan and the talent to execute.
    fair enough, mr gutfirst, let's settle for taking one bronze. instead, let's only make our boys run up and down the 'cog', as pre-beijing preparation. that seems to take less discipline and/or talent to execute.
    Last edited by COL66; 09-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.

col66,
    i don't get it? i wasn't trying to provide any commentary about the team's performance or training or solve any problems.

Olympic Champ

Flat out, what COl described is exactly what I teach my kid, and is my general teaching style. Occasionally I get off track (like last year for a time) because - well I get caught in the American thing. Then I have to redo it all. Right now with my little one it is snatch TD stuff if there, never on the knees, and the push/pull thing. Step three is not really an option yet - there are to many bad American folkstyle - habits to break right now. I think I will continue this approach, and then work it into an angled, lower the level approach, off of a solid counter defensive style that pays offensive divedends.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.