Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beat the Streets. USA vs Russia

Default Beat the Streets. USA vs Russia

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/8435

I don't know anything about wrestlers from Russia or any other country for that matter. How do we stack up in this dual?

USA vs. Russia Freestyle Dual Meet matches
    55 kg/121 lbs. ? Henry Cejudo (USA) vs. Nariman Israpilov (Russia)
    60 kg/132 lbs. ? Shawn Bunch (USA) vs. Rasul Murtazaliev (Russia)
    66 kg/145.5 lbs. ? Brent Metcalf (USA) vs. Magomedmurad Gadzhiev (Russia)
    74 kg/163 lbs. ? Jordan Burroughs (USA) vs. Aniuar Geduev (Russia)
    84 kg/185 lbs. ? Jake Herbert (USA) vs. Andrey Valiev (Russia)
    96 kg/211.5 lbs. ?Jake Varner (USA) vs. Shamil Akhmedov (Russia)
    120 kg/264.5 lbs. ? Tervel Dlagnev (USA) vs. Barsag Kesaev (Russia)
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Default Re: Beat the Streets. USA vs Russia

That's a really really solid line up for USA. Exciting wrestlers all.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

@arm-spin could probably give a great breakdown.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

my picks are cejudo over nariman, this is one is teh hardet for me to pick but il side with bunch, metcalf will NOT beat gadzhiev, geduev will smoke jordan, herbert over valiev(50 50 on this one), akmedov over varner, an dlagnev over kesaev

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointcrossankle View Post
    my picks are cejudo over nariman, this is one is teh hardet for me to pick but il side with bunch, metcalf will NOT beat gadzhiev, geduev will smoke jordan, herbert over valiev(50 50 on this one), akmedov over varner, an dlagnev over kesaev
    Agree with those picks although the Cejudo prediction may be wishful thinking since we haven't seen him compete in so long and Israpilov is the real deal (Euro senior champ). Geduev is a heavy favorite over Burroughs - I'm hoping Jordan can make it an exciting match with his offensive attacks, but in general #3 or so Russian will take advantage of his lacking experience. I wouldn't favor Herbert over the top 3 Russians, but he's beaten several wrestlers more accomplished than Valiev, it's just a matter of consistency for him. Varner-Akhmedov may be the most anticipated match-up since Jake has been wrestling so well and Akhmedov is potentially the #1 Russian now if Gatsalov retires (as rumored).

Not terribly familiar with all these guys, most probably fall into the 3rd-5th ranked in Russia range (Akhmedov maybe higher)
    55: Israpilov is a former European champ, not the most consistent guy IMO. I think Dennis beat him in a dual meet this year.
    60: not too familiar with this guy. I think he medalled at Yarygin this year, wrestled at one of the US tournaments at 66 and didn't do too well.
    66: One of several world class wrestlers Russia has at this weight. Former jr. world champ and European runner up. Wrestled a lot in North America at both 66 and 74 with great sucess, beating Canadians Garcia and Gentry amonng others . Beat Metcalf for 3rd at Yarygin.
    74: Very exciting wrestler, known for huge throws. I think he won the last year's world cup, I know he beat the world runner-up from Iran there.
    84: the latest jr wrold champ at this weight.
    96: Yarygin champ. Beat Ketoev and Varner (by injury default) at the tournament. As bh says, the match between him and Varner should be great and tell us if Varner is a world-level medal threat.
    120: Not sure about this guy.

IMO the US should go into this dual expecting to win it on home soil. I see Geduev and Gadziev as Russian favorites, Herbert (if he is on his game) and Dlagnev as American favorites, and the rest as toss-ups.

Israpilov has been kind of inconsistent since a very successful 2009 season and was probably expected to be further along at this point. Still, I don't think he's ever lost to an American having beat Felix, Dennis and Haze in close matches. If this is the Cejudo of old then he'll be in a good position to win should he get the match to the third period.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    120: Not sure about this guy.
    At Yarigin this year, he pinned everybody before losing 4:0, 3:0 to Bakhtiar Akhmedov in the finals.
    He pinned Dlagnev in the 1/4finals, then Rowlands in the semis.
    Results:
    Kesaev-Dlagnev 2:0, 4:0 & pin
    Kesaev-Rowlands 2:0, 1:4, 4:1 & pin

http://www.themat.com/article.php?ArticleID=22604

You are right, Dennis beat Otasultranov and lost to Israpilov in the last second.

http://themat.com/section.php?sectio...rticleID=23526
    bios of each guy posted. Apparently Israpilov is out and jr. world bronze medallist Mashezov is in at 55 kg. He's the guy who launched Hazewinkel for 5 pts twice in a dual meet last year And yes, I think the Cejudo of 2008 would beat him.

PS I noted a lot of these Russians have very crappy results at the world cup. I assume that's because Russians usually have more than one guy at each weight and they split the wins.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 04-26-2011 at 03:14 PM.