Thread: Herbert's Wrestling

Default Herbert's Wrestling

Herbert is a great and exciting wrestler, no doubt, but has there ever been a world-class wrestler who is more inconsistent, not just from tournament to tournament but even within the same match? The recent national final vs Gavin is a great example, Herbert looks like the inferior wrestler for much of the match until he really needs to score- and then he does. Internationally, he beats world medallists one day and then gets teched (or close) the next. I just don't get it.

Default Re: Herbert's Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Herbert is a great and exciting wrestler, no doubt, but has there ever been a world-class wrestler who is more inconsistent, not just from tournament to tournament but even within the same match? The recent national final vs Gavin is a great example, Herbert looks like the inferior wrestler for much of the match until he really needs to score- and then he does. Internationally, he beats world medallists one day and then gets teched (or close) the next. I just don't get it.
    I don't either. He didnt have lapses like this in college.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I think his run to the world finals was just odd its like he just took what his opponents gave him really and their mental errors and his toughness and persistancy got him wins and credit to him for that, but i think people have seen his game and sort of sussed him out now hence why they are crushing him pretty bad at the highest level, anyone have a video of him against urishev have they even wrestled? I know salas and gadisov have beaten him pretty badly, any other matches between him and the top level guys since 09 worlds? I know aldatov beat him pretty comfortably as well before at baku.

Since the '09 worlds I believe Herbert has lost to Urishev several times, some close and some not (posted on "good matches thread), beat the Azeri world bronze medallist (forget name), beat Lashgari, and lost to Temrezov. Not sure who else.

Whatever else is going on with Herbert, I think his defense is simply not world class. Even American guys like Gavin score on him all the time. Part of this may be a function of his wide-open style but he gets his back exposed a lot, both with counters and par terre turns.

Speaking of Aldatov, he deserves his own thread: "most pinnable world champion" or "why bother training? It's not worlds yet" are possible titles

aldatov is ten times more confusing than herbert, I agree he should have his own thread, how the guy can destroy everyone at one tournament then get pinned early in another, then beat a top level wrestler then lose a lackluster match, you never know which one is showing up, at 84 i pretty much expect the "why bother training? Its not worlds yet" aldatov even when he's at worlds.
    Yeah i remeber him beating lashgari now, lashgari to me is a clutch loser how he has got to the top in iran at 84 is beyond me definately some politics there, maybe i'm missing something, i don't rate him at all. I'll take a look at herbert vs urishev, when did he wrestle sharipov after worlds i think thats the bronze medalist your thinking of?

I get the feeling Aldatov doesn't train very hard much of the year. In a lot of his losses, he gasses really badly and sometimes gets pinned at the end of matches when he doesn't seem to care anymore. At the worlds his record is pretty good: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th (with a DNP at the olympics). Also, he racks up a ton of points with one move- the ankle lace right off a td. Stop that one, you have a good shot of winning.

Herbert/Shapriov- grand prix maybe? I don't remember.