Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Varner's Performance at the US Open

Default Jake Varner's Performance at the US Open

Up a level or just dominating a pretty weak weight at the US Open?

I think he looks better, and that side head lock is dominating. He makes guys look so dumb when they shoot on him. I still want to see how he'll score against an elite guy who holds good position and has good defense. Danimal and Jack Jensen don't meet that description.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: Jake Varner

weak division in the us and he's pretty good but i would be very suprised if he did anything at worlds, ketoev beat him pretty comfortably not badly but comfortably, a weight class that will have yazdani, gazyumov, gogshelidze, gatsalov(most likely) he will be in for some punishing matches.

When did Varner and Ketoev wrestle?

At Sarkisyan tourney in Armenia 5 months ago.

This is the semifinal mtach, not the bronze medal match vs. the Georgian as written in the description. Varner was obviously not in good shape at that tourney. He lost also to the Georgian. A few months later, at the World cup, he destroyed the same Georgian. Plus... good job at Yarygin tourney.

Default Re: Jake Varner's Performance at the US Open

Ketoev with the usual eye gauging.

Yeah i forgot about the yarygin that wasn't too shabby who did he beat at the yarygin though?

In the first 2 rounds, he beat less known wrestlers of RUS 5:1 and KAZ 13:0. In the 1/4finals, he beat 4:1, 0:1, 4:0+pin the Dagestani Arslanbek Aliev who was one of the favorites. Got injured in the semis.

He pinned aliev? impressive, i remeber him getting injured shooting in on akhmedov.

If Varner can't beat Cael I don't think he will win worlds. I know Herbert can't beat Cael. Just wish Cael would get in shape and go for it again. He is the best hope for the US to win at least one weight this next Olympic games.