Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gatsalov and M. Murtazaliev

Default Gatsalov and M. Murtazaliev

Not sure if these two are still going to compete, but if there retire, where do they rank among the all time greats?

I'm not sure if Murta qualifies, since he is "only" a 2x world champ and Olympic bronze medallist. However, apart from two or three untimely losses, he was pretty dominant. He beat a ton of world champions,, often repeatedly- Tsargush, Aldatov, Barzakov, Teedev, Farniev, Ganev and even took 2/3 off Saitiev. Not sure how many European, Yarygin and Russian titles he won but it was quite a few.

Gatsalov is a 4x world champ with an Olympic gold and a silver medal. He's slowed down a bit but I don't think he lost a lot in his prime, and almost never when it counts the most. Gatsalov had the uncanny ability to win close matches again and again. Very effective with a variety of techniques. I've got to think he makes the all time great list on statistics alone.

Default Re: Gatsalov and M. Murtazaliev

i agree with gatsalov, his record is amazing and he is apparently a "small" 96, an dont forget he beat makhov at a dual!

as for murtazaliev, i love this guy, hes my favorite wrestler an i have incorperated basically all of his moves to my own arsenal, but i fail to see him stand out as one of the greats, on paper lee kemp would stand out more then him, or i would take leipold over him, but his greatest accomplishments are his wins over saitiev

Gatsalov is repping at beat the streets on may 5th i hear in the US. I reckon gatsalov will make a run for next years olympics, not point retiring the year before the olympics.
    I'd put gatsalov up there as a great for sure, olympic gold, 4 time world champ, 3 time european champ, and beat everyone there was to beat in his era.

What were Gatsalov's best wins at 84kg before he moved up in 2003? I know that he beat Cael something like 8-7 at the World Cup, but did he ever beat Magomedov, Sajidov or Adam Satiev?
    Last edited by bwh27; 04-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.

apparently adam saitiev and gatsalov had a tie at nationals one year, but to my knowledge gatsalov has never beatin sazhidov

I think I remember hearing Gatsalov beat Sajidov quite badly at a dual meet or a training camp or something like that... apparently Gatsalov, Saitiev and Sajidov were all beating up on each other and they had a hard time picking a world team rep.

Some good guys he beat at 96: Kurtanidze (several times), Gogchelidze (many times), Muradov, Gayzumov.

With five Golds you've got to put Gatsalov on the All time lists.

Feel like Murtazaliev would have to knock off the Golden Pylon and get at least one more Gold for him to approach the lists.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

When did FILA go to seven weight classes?
    It seems like there should be a reduction in expectations to be an all-time great now that the competition is that much tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    With five Golds you've got to put Gatsalov on the All time lists.

Feel like Murtazaliev would have to knock off the Golden Pylon and get at least one more Gold for him to approach the lists.
    Glad to see the "golden pylon" nickname is catching on!

I bet Murtazaliev is still having nightmares about his loss to Kelly. To beat all the guys he did, and lose a match like that... got to hurt.