Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greco-Roman Moves

Default Greco-Roman Moves

What are some moves are should learn for Greco-Roman? My coach doesn't know a lot about Greco, but is there any really good moves from your feet? My coach taught me a few Gut Wrenches, a Mid Gut and High Gut. What take downs should I learn? And, is there anything other top moves I should learn?

Default Re: Greco-Roman Moves

A lot of greco matches at the high levels are decided on gut wrenches so that's not a bad start. It's tough to get good at the reverse lift, but you'll look like a greco stud if you can do that one from top. From your feet, any upper body move will work- arm drags, duckunders, headlocks, arm throws, head snaps, ect. Just be aware your opponent will probably be standing straight up instead of in a traditional fokstyle/freestyle stance.

Perhaps most important, learn how to defend lifts from the ground so you don't get too many airmiles
    Last edited by arm-spin; 03-28-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Whats the best way to defend a lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Laynerz View Post
    don't allow a lock and if you do move with your body as close to the mat as possible. where are you? find somewhere to train with a coach that has free/greco experience.

I live in Utah. Pretty much in the middle of no where ha. High school is ten minutes away and the wrestling coach that knows a lot about freestyle and Greco lives about an hour away and has a full time job in the off season so its hard for him to work with me, so I'm currently looking for another person with some Freestyle and Greco experience

Quote Originally Posted by Laynerz View Post
    Similar to defending a gut wrench. Put the far hip (as in, the hip that is on the opposite side as your opponent) down and look into him. Also, while you can't grab your opponent's legs, you can sometimes crawl between them on a reverse lift. A lot of big throws happen off the greco clinch- you need to learn to anticipate the referee's whistle so you can defend it right away. T

Quote Originally Posted by gutfirst View Post
    don't allow a lock and if you do move with your body as close to the mat as possible. where are you? find somewhere to train with a coach that has free/greco experience.
    lots of kids from utah do very well at fargo each year. they must be training somewhere. i realize utah is big. check out the schedule for the freestyle and greco tournaments.

hit the tournaments, find the kids that look like they have experience, and ask them where they train. keep asking until you find someplace near to you.

Yeah, I go to a tournament almost every weekend. A lot train for Private Clubs, most are about an hour to two hours away from where I live, which would still be worth it even if I could go for two days a week imo.

an hour drive is worth the ride. try to find a place that has a coach at the club who is also coaching the team at fargo. better yet, find mark fuller if he is still in utah.