Thread: Amazing Turkish OIL Wrestling Tradition! 650 year anniversary this year!!!!

Default Amazing Turkish OIL Wrestling Tradition! 650 year anniversary this year!!!!

Hi Everyone

Please take a look at this wrestling tradition. Its in Turkey and has a 650 year past...
    Watch the video!! some great work and amazing history!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ion-0?ref=live

Default Re: Amazing Turkish OIL Wrestling Tradition! 650 year anniversary this year!!!!

Looks great!

PS Hamza Yerlikaya competed in the kirkpinar last year I think, does anybody know how did he succeed in the tournament or was he just playing around ?
    Last edited by Koopa_; 03-11-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Default Re: Amazing Turkish OIL Wrestling Tradition! 650 year anniversary this year!!!!

He didnt compete. He only attended the festival and participated in the awarding ceremonies. As memeber of the parliament. Kirkpinar is both a sport event and a political event attended by VIP - the president, the PM, MPs.

As for the project.... hmmmm. I love wrestling albums and photo exhibitions. And I have some albums. But:
    1. Perspective: There is at least a dozen of Kirkpinar albums I know and perhaps much more that I dont know. I would ask any photographer going to produce the next one - what will be the New in his or her album.
    2. Time: Documenting various (incl. historical) aspects of a contemporary event is OK. I see problems when historical aspects are not studied carefully. In such cases, photographers (and writers as well) do nothing else than reproducing popular or political mythologies. Kirkpinar wrestling can be traced back no more than 150 years, and in its present-day form it appeared for the first time in the 1920s. It's another thing that political and cultural enterpreneurs say it is 650 old.
    3. Space and culture: Oil wrestling is a mixture of ancient Balkan/Greek traditions of oiling the body (as in the wrestling matches at the acient Olympics) + Persian wrestling traditions brought by the Turks to the Balkans + Turkish traditions of course. It was and is still practiced everywhere in the Balkans, except for Serbia, so I have problems with labeling it Turkish.