Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

Default What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

We ponder this here and on other boards all the time, but what are some of the realities that need to be faced/addressed by USAW and the wrestling community as a whole in order to find the U.S. Freestyle team consistently in the top two or three and possibly even challenging the Russians?

Default Re: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

A lot of ideas and analyis provided on this recent thread: http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/free...42569-wtf.html

In addition to my thoughts on that thread, I'll just point out that no one else can beat the Russians either. They actually seem to be getting better. I'm a fairly recent fan of international wrestling but I think they are doing even better than the old USSR teams. They seem to have it all: staggering natural talent, matchless depth, superior technique, lots of financial support and even (allegedly) some corruption to help things out when all the aforementioned aren't enough).

Default Re: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

Not going to happen unless we completely adopt Fresstyle and drop Folkstyle in HS and college.

Arm-spin did bring up a good point about them moving on to more lucrative things. If they could somehow make some real money in FS, I think they could challenge. But, good luck finding a way to make that kind of money.

At the risk of sounding offensive, I think that Americans as a whole just don't like freestyle a whole lot. This forum is pretty good, but on other American wrestling forums half the international sections seem to be devoted to how much freestyle sucks. Ben Askren complains about it all the time on flowrestling. Hard to excel at something you don't particularly like.

In terms of on-the-mat stuff: become incredibly good at defending the clinch. Metcalf and Zadick seem to have figured it out, but a lot of Americans seem to think losing the "ball grab" automatically means losing the period. Kudukhov, Tsargush, Gatsalov, Muradov- all these superstars have won gold medals by defending a clinch. Like it or not, it's a valuable skill to have.

I don't find your comments offensive at all. They are simply true. I can see why Ben complains about the rules because his style doesn't fit it. He could adapt, if he wanted too, but why? I think it goes back to the money issue. Until the U.S. decides to pay these athletes what MMA does, they will continue to go to MMA.

But, the American public doesn't even turnout to watch folkstyle as much as other countries turnout to watch freestyle, either. So, there would be no money to be made by anyone who tried to pay American wrestlers to learn freestyle. So, like many things in the world, all you have to do is follow the money and you will get your answer.

BTW, what do Canadian wrestlers do for money? I'm curious because I am wondering if they are tempted by MMA, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    But, the American public doesn't even turnout to watch folkstyle as much as other countries turnout to watch freestyle, either. So, there would be no money to be made by anyone who tried to pay American wrestlers to learn freestyle. So, like many things in the world, all you have to do is follow the money and you will get your answer.

I am not so sure that is true. I looked at alot of the FS videos on Youtube and there is usually huge number of empty seats unless the match is a world final. I remember seeing that the early rounds of the Russian nationals that were on Flo the stands are fairly empty...this is not the case at the DI NCAAs, every session sells out and I believe this is also the case for most HS state championships.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I am not so sure that is true. I looked at alot of the FS videos on Youtube and there is usually huge number of empty seats unless the match is a world final. I remember seeing that the early rounds of the Russian nationals that were on Flo the stands are fairly empty...this is not the case at the DI NCAAs, every session sells out and I believe this is also the case for most HS state championships.
    Without a doubt, the NCAA's an HS state championships do sell out. There is a core wrestling base that goes to all of the big tournaments. I was referring to the stands at your local HS tourney or even a dual meet at a college that isn't Iowa, OSU, or some other huge wrestling college. I have watched matches on Flo that I thought were a pretty big deal and noticed that the stands were fairly empty.

But, you may be right about the other countries. I have always noticed big support from Iran, Russia, Azerbajan, Cuba, ect..... But that could also be that I've only watched the big tournaments which could be compared to our NCAA's.

I don't know if this goes on in different countries or not, but I find it depressing here in the U.S. Ask anyone you know who hasn't wrestled or had a family member who did, how to score a match. Most, if not all, have no idea. Ask people who haven't played basketball or had a family member who did, how to score a BB game and they will tell you. This, IMO, is the fault of the wrestling community (me included). I wonder if it is like that in Russia or Iran?

Canadian wrestlers: the top 2 or 3 in each weight class earn "cards". Points for carding are earned at various tournaments and carded athlete get money. I'm not sure how much but it isn't very much, most post-college wrestlers have full tome jobs in addition to competing. What tends to happen is a few top-level guys stick around for a lot of years, while the majority of wrestlers top competing after university. Thus the results of our national champions are often very similar from year-to-year. There are definitely some Canadian wrestlers who fight in MMA but most of them, to my knowledge, aren't our top ranked guys. Clearly, we don't have the depth- or the expectations- of the US national teams, though we did beat the at the worlds this year

I also think the US system could make it a whole lot easier for NCAA wrestlers to jump into international tournaments. It seems like every national team (Jrs, Srs, FISU etc) has a championship and THEN a trials system. That's a lot of extra wrestling for burned-out college wrestlers. Give NCAA champs a berth to the world team trials. Let them get a "bye" to the finals of the FISU or Jr. team trials. Make it convenient for the best NCAA athletes to compete internationally.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 01-27-2011 at 09:09 PM.