Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

Default Re: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

74 is a good weight in canada for depth, and haislan garcia is a WC contender IMO but the rest of our weights are weak, i think our national card is 24gs

Default Re: What's it going to take to bring the U.S. back to the top in Freestyle?

Wrestling in general suffers from a lack of visability and ease of access. If you turn on Sports Center, you'll see enough Basketball highlights to fill an hour long segment, yet there isn't one highlight of a great wrestling match. Why? Likewise, I can go to walmart and pick up a basketball hoop and ball, set it up in my driveway, no issue. How many homes have room in their homes for even a 10x10 mat? let alone $500 for the mat.

I also agree that Americans wrestle Free Style and Greco in the summers, and while most wrestlers are at the pool, taking vacations, and playing All Star baseball, only the die hard wrestlers and/or overbearing parents are participating in the low turnout events.

The school program I'm involved with is going to be instructing youth wrestlers this season in both Greco and Free Style, and I'm really going to push to have at least one Free Style/Greco tournament in the swing of the regular season. Maybe even have a standard Folkstyle tournament with a Free Style and Greco division that's free to participate in just to generate interest. What do you guys think?

In the US there are a few sports that are about as popular as wrestling and suffer from the same lack of exposure and limited earning that wrestling does. However, the US is still able to be the top country or close to the top. The best example is swimming. This gets coverage in the Olympic years becasue the US is so good, but otherwise there is nothing on TV or in the newspapers, but the Us is far and away the best country. Also same with Track and Field although the althetes have potenetial to make money overseas.
    How many of you remember that the defending Olympic decathalon champ is American and he also has a silver from 2004 and is aiming to compete again in 2012?

As far as wrestling, we don't train in the same sport as the rest of the world. Everything else is secondary.

You make good points ODH. I will not argue with what you said. But, if some new track and field league was formed and was offering the top collegiate track stars hundreds of thousands of dollars to run backwards, or skip or do some other event that isn't necessarily at the olympics, do you think they would take the money? If they had the option of training for 4 years and being broke or joining the new league and being rich, I think a significant amount of them would take the money.

That is what I'm saying about MMA. Wrestlers now have an option that other athletes don't and many of them are taking the money. I can't blame them.

Badcat, your idea sounds like a winner to me. I think the hardcore wrestlers would be interested in both of the other styles. I am curious, though. Where do you find a person certified to referee freestyle or greco?

MMA is definitely hurting the US freestyle, but I think it is a factor that is keeping out of the top five countries in the world. Take MMA away and fund wrestling to a piont that they can live comfortably while training full time and we still are not touching Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    MMA is definitely hurting the US freestyle, but I think it is a factor that is keeping out of the top five countries in the world. Take MMA away and fund wrestling to a piont that they can live comfortably while training full time and we still are not touching Russia.
    Hypothetically (spelled wrong, I'm sure) speaking, I would love to see that experiment. I think Hendricks, Rosholt, Askren, Palmer...training with the same intensity would do just fine on the international scene. If you look back on past performances on the U.S. team you will find that we did quite well until the 21st century. That is also when MMA started making an impact. But, here I bitch, but contribute nothing to the Olympic fund. I guess I am reaping what I sow.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Badcat, your idea sounds like a winner to me. I think the hardcore wrestlers would be interested in both of the other styles. I am curious, though. Where do you find a person certified to referee freestyle or greco?
    I have a ref contact that knows who is certified in Greco and Freestyle. It's just a matter of getting them scheduled. I guess what I'm saying is that I go by word of mouth. I'm not sure if you, or anyone else for that matter would be able to go to your officals' sanctioned body and find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    I have a ref contact that knows who is certified in Greco and Freestyle. It's just a matter of getting them scheduled. I guess what I'm saying is that I go by word of mouth. I'm not sure if you, or anyone else for that matter would be able to go to your officals' sanctioned body and find out?
    My bad. I didn't intend it to sound the way you might have taken it. I just know that I, and everyone I wrestled with, don't really know how to score freestyle or greco with any confidence. I have and still do ref folkstyle. I would love to know where to learn to referee freestyle and greco.

Let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    My bad. I didn't intend it to sound the way you might have taken it. I just know that I, and everyone I wrestled with, don't really know how to score freestyle or greco with any confidence. I have and still do ref folkstyle. I would love to know where to learn to referee freestyle and greco.

Let me know how it goes.
    I knew what you meant and didn't think you were being a big jerk face or anything But, you bring up a great point in that people like "us" who love Greco and Freestyle and want to boost the numbers for USA wrestling, need to find educated officials in the differing styles (or find officials who want to work indoors during the summer). There is also the added expense of purchasing international marked mats suited for Greco.

I can't wait for the olympics...and hope they show some wrestling.