Discuss Toughest Draws Ever at the Freestyle & Greco-Roman Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; For wrestling historians or those in the know... what are some of the toughest brackets ...
    Olympic Champ

Default Toughest Draws Ever

For wrestling historians or those in the know... what are some of the toughest brackets ever in international tournaments?

I remember the 2008 74 kg Olympic bracket being touted of one of the all-time toughest because of the number of veteran wresters with medals (Saitiev, Adatov, Gitinov, Tigiev, Fundora,Gaidrov, Chamasurlaev, Bazri).
    http://www.flowrestling.org/blogs/bl...-74-kg-preview

Two others that come to mind:
    The 2000 Yargyin at 84 when 3x world/olympic Adam Saitiev beat 7x world/olympic Khadartsev in the final, and 2xworld/olympic champ Magomedov beat 2x world champ Sajidov for bronze. Wow. (I wonder if a young Gatsalov was in the bracket too?)

Not sure of the whole bracket, but in 1996 Saitiev beat World/Olympic champ Monday, the defending Olympic champ from Korea, and world (and arguaby Olympic) champ Leipod en route to the gold medal.
    http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/free...matches-5.html (Good Matches)

Any others?
    Last edited by arm-spin; 12-14-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Redshirt

Default Re: Toughest Draws Ever

ck out Gia sissouri's Draw from I believe 97 where he wins bronze.

Redshirt

ramazan sahin had a pretty crazy draw in 08 - garzon, taghavi, tushishvili, stadnik

Olympic Champ

Shahin also pulled off some crazy moves to win it- hit a big throw in the dying seconds against Garzon to win one period, help off Taghavi in a tripod to win another, a last second comeback with an inside trip to beat Tushisvilli and a step-over on a gutwrench in the 3rd to take out Stadnik. They don't come much more "clutch" than this guy.

There's a thread on themat.com right now detailing the insanely tough draw Tom Brands had at the 1996 Olympics.

I don't think Igali's draw in the 2000 Olympics was one of the toughest, but he certainly had some tough matches with 3 OT bouts in a row!

Blog Entries

Kudukhov had pretty tough draws in 06 and 07 I think.

user tags

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!