Thread: BIG, did you wrestle for Poly Prep?

Default BIG, did you wrestle for Poly Prep?

i read your post about Constantine being your coach.
    is is the same constantine from poly prep?
    if so, i heard he had some crazy russian stories, however i never heard them.
    care to share some of them?

Olympic Champ

Default Re: BIG, did you wrestle for Poly Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I know he went to Rutgers for college but I don't think he went to Poly Prep.
    Yes I did go to Poly Prep. The coach befriended me at NYAC and got me in with all them rich kids. I am the only white guy to make finals at National Preps for Poly. 3 other black guys made it but no white rich boys.

Konstantin came to Poly around my sophomore year to give some clinics and then became assistant coach my junior year. He was 25 years old and in his prime then. Amazing looking wrestler with a chiseled body. He is now head coach there and also coaches soccer and track. He is also a physical education teacher there.

Konstantin is an amazing guy and taught me most of the wrestling I know. He really knew no English when he came to Poly and I had to translate for him to the team and then I helped him learn the basics. I really have not met anyone that can teach and show moves like Konstantin did. Not even Beloglasov. He was an awesome wrestler too. He made most people look like fools wrestling him with all the fakes and tricks. He just wasn't mentally ready to take it to another level, mostly because of so much constant competition in Soviet Union and Fadzaev's dominance.
    Last edited by Big; 09-06-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Olympic Champ

They invited him to Lehigh wrestling camps in the past. Santoro invited him to train when he competed. He also trained Kharchilava during his attempt to make US team at 33 when he got his citizenship.

Olympic Champ

Here is a story. One year Cornell team came to workout at NYAC. It was the year Dave Hirsch won NCAAs at 126. Dave Hirsch probably weighed around 135-140. Konstantin weighed around 150-155.

Anyway, Dave just played around with a few guys there and then Konstantin comes in the room and goes to workout with Hirsch to give him some competition. Hirsch did not know who he was. He started attacking Konstantin and wound up on his back a couple of times after Konstantin countered him. A little while later Hirsch had enough. He threw his headgear and left the room. The practice was over for him. Konstantin was like whatever.

im wrestling for poly next year... cant wait!

Unregistered

I wrestled for Poly under Constantine with BIG (Bash...?) I won the states, with most of our starters! We would have 9 state champs in 13 weight classes. Constantine definitely took our team to the next level. The team is not good now which is a disappointment for us guys that wrestled during the Poly golden era in the 90's.